Help with my refractive error

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Help with my refractive error

Postby 0020237s » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:11 pm

Hi,
I am 42 years old and scheduled for Wavefront optomised Lazik on 31/1/2007. My lazik surgeon found my prescription for left eye sphere,cylinder,axis is -0.75, -2.0, 65 and for right eye is -0.5, -2.25, 95 on the 3/1/2007

I had my prescription measured the following week by my normal optician and it was found to be for left eye, sphere, cylinder, axis to be -1.0, -1.75, 64 and right eye to be -1.0, -2.0, 93. Is that much of a difference. Should I have it measured again on the day of the surgery. My cornea thickness was measured at R) 502 (L) 517 microns. Is that considered normal or low. My tear rating was measured at 30/5, again is that normal or low. I don't know if my pupil size was measured or not. They did give me a drop in each eye that dilated the pupils for the tests.
Any info is much appreciated.
0020237s

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:45 pm

Normal fluctuation in vision is about 0.25 diopters. The difference between the two prescriptions is not all that much, but should be checked again.

Your doctor will likely perform a wavefront diagnostic on the day of surgery and this will determine your prescription. It is common for a wavefront diagnostic derived prescription to be slightly different from a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two). If the difference is too great, the doctor will not be able to use wavefront-guided Lasik and will need to switch to conventional ablation.

Your astigmatism is relatively high and your myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision is relatively low. When astigmatism is more than half the myopia, correction is more challenging. It is reasonable to expect to achieve improvement, however do not be surprised if Lasik does not get all the astigmatism perfectly on the first try. Your doctor may recommend a Lasik enhancement surgery if after 3-6 months your results are not as desired.

Your corneal thickness is within the margin of safety for Lasik and if the tear numbers are 30 for Shirmer then your tearing would appear to be in the normal range.

With your relatively low prescription you may want to investigate the surface ablation techniques of PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik as an alternative to Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It