Pre - op supplements

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Pre - op supplements

Postby 0020237s » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:25 pm

I am scheduled for Wavefront optomised Lazik on 31/1/2007. I have read a number of postings and was suprised about all the different products people were advised to take before and after. My surgeon advised me to take 1 vallium tablet the night before surgery and 1 vallium tablet 1 hour before the surgery. He never mentioned that I should take vitimin supplements/Flax oil etc before surgery. He just said that I will need to take eye drops for 6 weeks after and an antibiotic drop in the eye for a week after surgery. Is this normal.

Regards,
Diarmuid
0020237s

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:50 pm

Taking 500mg of Vitamin C twice a day for a week before surgery and at least two weeks after surgery has been shown to reduce the incidence of corneal haze with PRK, however your refractive error (related in another post) is so low that the probability of corneal haze is virtually nil.

Flax seed oil supplement can improve the lipid layer of the tear film, however your Shirmer test (related in another post) is in the normal range and would indicate that you do not have a lipid deficiency.

It appears that the reason you have not been instructed to take these supplements is because they are likely not needed for your unique circumstances.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It