Lasik and aging

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Lasik and aging

Postby daf999999 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:18 am

I'm 46 and wear contacts. Both eyes are -3.25. I'm considering monovision (-1.25 and -3.25). Assuming I'm "average" and my surgery goes just fine, lwhat will happen as I age. At 55-60, will I need reading glasses? At 70 or 80, how will my sight be? Will I get cataracts, assuming I'd get them anyway? Will the monovision Lasik have any impact on how y eyes age?
I know this requires speculation but I'm thinking long-term (obviously)
Thanks
daf999999

Postby yawny » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:02 am

I think that you are asking questions that no one could know the answer to here, not being disrespectful, but really it would depend on the person, and everyone is different. Not every one gets cataracts as a matter of aging, so there is no way to know. This is also true of the Lasik surgery. Everyones eyes are different, so their experiences and outcome is bound to be a bit different. I would guess that you might need readers as your eyes change later on, but everyone's eyes change at different rates. My mother is 77, and still has great distance vision. She only needs glasses for real close up work and reading, which she did not need until well beyond 60 years of age. My siblings and I are all nearsighted and needed some kind of correction, so like I am trying to illustrate everyone is different.
yawny

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:42 pm

You may likely have additional near vision changes between age 46 and 56 as you lose what little accommodation (ability to focus on near objects) remains. The Lasik monovision target you are considering should provide reasonably good near and mid-distance vision, but your distance vision will not be great. You will likely need glasses for driving, but you can know for sure by wearing contact lenses that emulate the targeted monovision. Wear monovision contacts for several weeks to get an idea of how good (or inadequate) this correction will be for you. If you don't like this target, have the doctor change contacts to a different refractive error and keep adjusting until you find what you really like.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It