need cataract surgery not Lasik

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

need cataract surgery not Lasik

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:55 pm

I am having cataract suregry I am 57 yrs of age. I have been waering contacts for 30 yrs.It seems my eye sight has worsened I have problems with night driving. My Dr suggest the cataract removed and insert ocular lens is this the norm?
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:59 pm

It is unusual for someone to develop cataracts at age 57, but it is not unheard of either. Having a cataract means that the natural lens of your eye has become yellowed and cloudy. The normal response is to remove the natural lens and replace it with an artificial lens made of acrylic or silicon. This artificial lens will be of a power that you probably will not need glasses for distance vision. This operation is the same as Refractive Lens Exchange.

Before you have any surgery, you need to consider monovision correction and the use a multifocal intraocular lens or the Crystalens accommodating IOL.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It