surgery for nystagmus

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

surgery for nystagmus

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:16 pm

I have two questions regarding the nystagmus surgery?

1. I had eye surgery in Spain (Barcelona) in the last year to improve the head posture because i was tilting my head to find the null point, the result of the surgery , the head tilt is reduuced without any improvment on the nystagmus and visual acuity , now after i heared about tenotomy surgery , and because i dont know what is the name of the procedure that done for me in Spain , I am woundering if it is similar to the tenotomy surgery or not.

2.After I heared about tenotomy surgery i emailed the doctor in cleveland university hospital he told me that this procedrure may damp the nystagmus and improve the vision acutiy, afterthat he gave me appointment at 2. Dec.2004 to make the evaluation and decide the suitable treatment, did any body expierence this procedure , do you expect that it realy improve the vision acuity and to which extent , i am asking that because i wiil travel 10,000 mile to reach the doctor i will come from UAE (Dubai) , and I will pay a lot of thousands , if its valuable the improvement i will rAealy be glad and i can follow with this hope ??!!

Knowing that my conginetal nystagmus is since the childhood and mu VA is 20/60

Plz Help

Thanks

Munir
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:18 pm

Munir,

I really wish that I could provide to you greater insight regarding nystagmus surgery, but my field of expertise is in refractive surgery like LASIK and PRK. I simply don't have the requisite knowledge.

What I do recommend is that you visit PubMed and do a search on nystagmus. Look at who authored the relevant articles and where those doctors practice. If the name of your surgeon is revealed to be someone who is recognized by his/her peers as an expert, then you are probably in pretty good hands. If not, you may want to start contacting the authors of those articles.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It