Contact Lens use and LASIK -vs- "Custom Wavefront"

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Contact Lens use and LASIK -vs- "Custom Wavefront"

Postby linda8570 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:47 am

I am a 36 year old in good health. My current prescription is -6.5 left eye and -7, -1.25 right eye, according to my contact lenses. (both are soft, but the L is aspheric and the R is toric) I am told I have astigmatism in both eyes, but I definately see better with my left (L eye dominant) than my right.
My first question is this: While I understand the need to have the contacts removed for about 3 weeks prior to surgery, I am wondering if putting them in for about 8 hours one day would constitute "resetting the clock" for another 3 weeks.
My next concern is that I visited two different centers and received slightly different answers. Both center doctors were confident that I was a good canidate and LASIK would work for me. However, one doctor advised custom wavefront bladeless for the best results. The other seems to believe traditional LASIK would work. I'm wondering if the differnce is because the custom center wants more money? Or maybe to be fair, they're more cautious? The traditional LASIK center was more thorough in my opinion. Has anyone else received different responses when getting pre-op evaluations?
Thanks!
linda8570

Re: Contact Lens use and LASIK -vs- "Custom Wavefront&q

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:54 am

linda8570 wrote:My first question is this: While I understand the need to have the contacts removed for about 3 weeks prior to surgery, I am wondering if putting them in for about 8 hours one day would constitute "resetting the clock" for another 3 weeks.

Probably not. Over time contact lenses can reshape the cornea. The cornea needs to relax back to its natural shape for correct measurements. It is not likely that one eight-hour use will make much difference, but be sure to discuss this with your doctor.

linda8570 wrote:My next concern is that I visited two different centers and received slightly different answers. Both center doctors were confident that I was a good canidate and LASIK would work for me. However, one doctor advised custom wavefront bladeless for the best results. The other seems to believe traditional LASIK would work. I'm wondering if the differnce is because the custom center wants more money? Or maybe to be fair, they're more cautious? The traditional LASIK center was more thorough in my opinion. Has anyone else received different responses when getting pre-op evaluations?
Thanks!

Ask 10 doctors and you are likely to get 11 different opinions. You should read about custom wavefront-guided Lasik and All-Laser Lasik and then discuss with both doctors if these techniques are truly advantageous. When in doubt, you would probably do well to go for teh most advanced procedure that is appropriate.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It