Visx or Allegretto

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Visx or Allegretto

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:39 am

Hello, I would like to have Refractive Surgery. I have gone to see 3 opinions. One that uses The ALLEGRETTO WAVE excimer laser system told me that they can perform custom lasik for me and the other two that uses VISX told me they can only perform conventional lasik because of my eye sight is above -6.0 (I can see near but can't see far) and slight astigmatism. They told me that the FDA does not approve custom lasik for anyone with sight above -6.0. My concern is, how come the first doctor told me that they can perform custom lasik where the other two can't?
Can I trust the doctor? I prefer to have custom lasik, but will not do it if it is not possible.

Thank you,
Oth, Houston
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:45 am

Oth,

At this time customized wavefront-guided Lasik is available for myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision up to 8.00 diopters with the Alcon LADARvision 4000 CustomCornea laser. Wavefront optimized ablation is available on the Allegretto laser up to 12.00 diopters of myopia. See Custom Wavefront Lasik.

You went to doctors with different equipment. Undoubtedly the Visx doctors don't want to lose your business, so they told you that you cannot have wavefront-guided surgery. They failed to point out that you could have wavefront surgery at another doctor's office if that doctor used either Alcon or Allegretto. Don't forget that Lasik is a business.

There is a difference between customized wavefront and wavefront optimized. This may or may not make a difference in your case, depending upon your level of higher order aberrations. If your HOA are normal or slightly elevated, then wavefront optimized (Allegretto) would probably be fine. If your HOA are elevated, then customized wavefront (Alcon) may be required. If your HOA are very elevated, then it may be that no refractive surgery would be appropriate for you. Only a doctor can provide this kind of information.

I highly recommend you consider a USAEyes.org Certified Refractive Surgeon. Texas Certified Lasik Doctors
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It