reasonable expectations?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

reasonable expectations?

Postby gio79 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm considering undergoing PRK. In a 3 weeks time I will have my initial evaluation which should consist of a corneal topographical mapping and probably other exams. In the meantime I'd like to hear some real world experiences from those who have alrealdy undergone PRK.
My current prescription is:
os -3.50 -1.00 axis 60
od -2.75 -2.25 axis 100
(the axis values may be wrong...)
At the moment I usually wear toric contact lenses. While I really like the freedom that my contact lenses give me I find them quite uncomfortable, not to say that the vision in my right eye is not that good, I assume this is because of the high astigmatism. Also my pupils are a bit large (I don't have any numbers to confirm this though...) and it seems that I need contact lens with a quite high BC. For example, I can tolerate my Cibavision Focus Visitint's with a bc of 9.2 but I couldn't wear Purevision Toric's which have a BC of 8.7 . I understand that the fact that I didn't find the Purevision Toric comfortable may depend on other reasons.

Let's consider my expectations...basically I'd like to

1-get decent (not perfect) vision without glasses and contact lenses. Driving, walking around, doing the things one does in a class (This is particularly critical. I am a student and the fact that looking at projected slides or at the blackboard dries my eyes quickly is a bit of problem...) are the activities that I hope I will be able to do without glasses/contacts. It would not bother me if I had to use eyeglasses for prolonged reading sessions, working at the pc, etc.

2-be able to function properly, even with the help of eyeglasses, within 2-3 weeks after surgery.

3-not feel my eyes tired at the end of the day as I'm experiencing nowadays when I use my contact lenses and obviously not experience the same uncomfortable feeling throughout the day. The occasional discomfort is ok.

Now, the point is that I am not sure how realistic these expectations are. (to be honest I have already discussed some of those with my doctor...)
I hope that anyone who had a similar prescription before surgery could jump in a tell me his or her experience.

Thanks in advance.

Gio
gio79

Re: reasonable expectations?

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:06 pm

Even someone with the same prescription may have different corneal thickness, curvature, pupil size, vision requirements, etc., that would affect their opinion of the outcome. Everyone is different. Those who have had previous PRK can describe the process for them, but recovery and results may be different for you.

Your prescription is within the treatable range, but the astigmatism in your right eye is a bit high and is more than 50% of the myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) component in that same eye. This type of correction is a bit more challenging than someone with lower astigmatism. It would be reasonable to expect fluctuation in vision during the healing process and after 3-6 months your doctor may suggest enhancement surgery to "fine tune" the result.

gio79 wrote:1-get decent (not perfect) vision without glasses and contact lenses

This is a reasonable expectation.

gio79 wrote:I am a student and the fact that looking at projected slides or at the blackboard dries my eyes quickly is a bit of problem...)

If you have clinically significant dry eyes, they should be treated and managed before surgery. Treatment for naturally occurring dry eyes would probably be covered under your major medial health insurance.

gio79 wrote:2-be able to function properly, even with the help of eyeglasses, within 2-3 weeks after surgery.

This is reasonable, but "function properly" can mean many things. The real crisp vision may not quite be ther at 2-3 weeks postop. It would be reasonable to expect to be able to drive, read, watch TV, etc., but very fine detailed work may still be a bit limited.

gio79 wrote:3-not feel my eyes tired at the end of the day as I'm experiencing nowadays when I use my contact lenses and obviously not experience the same uncomfortable feeling throughout the day. The occasional discomfort is ok.

Whatever problems are being caused by your contact lenses will obviously be resolved if you are not wearing contact lenses anymore. If the tired eyes are due to something other than refractive error or the use of contact lenses (such as dry eyes), then after recovery is likely to be the same as before.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby gio79 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:40 pm

Thanks a lot for your comments.

gio79
gio79