Lasik and Vacation

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Lasik and Vacation

Postby rsp » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:59 pm

I'll be having custom Lasik the week of April 2nd, my eyes are -4.75 so I'm fully expecting a longer recovery time than waking up the next morning with perfect vision like the ads say. The question is, I'm going on vacation the first week in May...now I know everyone heals differently, but to the people who have done this, do you think I should just wait until after the trip? I would love to be able to wake up and see the ocean without my glasses but the thought of seeing doubles or halos doesn't make for a great vacation either. Is a month a decent time for vision to stabilize or should I just suck it up and wait until I get back?
rsp

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:07 pm

The question to ask is how disruptive last minute cancelling the trip would be if your recovery is not as expected. If it would not be a big deal, then it is reasonable to expect to be able to travel after three weeks. What you would not want to do is put pressure on you to take the trip if your eyes are compromised.

Also, make arrangements for ophthalmic care wherever you are travelling before you go. If there is an emergency, you want to know who to see and how to contact him/her.

If you are flying, the recycled and conditioned air of a commercial airplane will dehydrate your eyes. Be sure to take along vials of preservative-free artificial tears.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Betty39 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:38 pm

If I were you....I'd wait. Something like 40% of people develop temporary dry eyes following Lasik. You don't want to be uncomfortable and trying to enjoy a vacation that you are paying for. Plus lugging around the drops you will be on is a pain too.
Most likely you would be fine like most people are, but if you have complications that could ruin your vacation.
Good luck in your decision.
Betty39

Postby maria22 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:20 pm

Couldn't you still cancel you trip after the surgery if you had to? That way you could postpone the decision...

I went on a small trip 2 days after my Lasik, and everything was fine.

I felt really comfortable once I was was done with the steroid drops.
Had you planned on doing any water activities during your trip? That might be a bit problematic, and you eyes might be more sensitive to sunlight.

I personally am not bothered by the eye drops at all, they've become part of my daily routine and are still easier to manage than contacts.
maria22

Postby peakaboo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:12 am

I had my bladeless lasik performed on July 29th and went on vacation August 10th. I took a container of eye drops with me and had no problems. I actually enjoyed the vacation more because I didn't have to worry about contacts or glasses.

Provided you have a week after surgery to heal, use eye shields, and take the prescribed medication, you should be fine by the time you take your vacation. This assumes that the surgery goes as planned of course and you heal like the majority of patients.
peakaboo

Return to Thinking About It