PRK over RK

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK over RK

Postby jmak » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:03 pm

I had RK about 10 years ago and am considering PRK. I am 50 yrs old and my vision is;

Sphere Cylinder Axis Add
Right +2.00 -1.25 105.0 +2.25
Left +1.50 -1.50 83.0 +2.25

The reason I am looking at PRK is because I am having trouble getting fitted for soft contacts and hate wearing glasses. I am looking at monovision and my mono contact prescription is;

Sphere Cylinder Axis
Left +3.50 -1.50 83.0

Is PRK monovision pushing the limits of the surgery? Is it likely that enhancement surgery (mono or distant eye) will be needed due to regression? Also how long are the steroid drops used for?

Thanks
jmak

Re: PRK over RK

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:40 am

jmak wrote:I had RK about 10 years ago...

Many people who had RK many years ago are now experiencing a shift toward hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision. Because most of these same people are also presbyopic (inability to focus on objects near), the combination can make poor vision quality at all distances. Many former RK patients are highly motivated to have surgery to correct this vision limitation.

Although you are moderately hyperopic, you would be attempting a larger amount of correction to get you to the monovision you seek. Also, hyperopic correction tends to regress. The doctor may want to go farther into myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) because of expected regression. As much as 4.50 diopters of correction may be attempted for your left eye. That is very high hyperopic correction.

Although PRK may be able to get you to where you want to go, you should investigate Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) as an alternative.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby jmak » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:38 am

Glenn, Thanks for your response. I thought that an RLE option would not be available because of the astigmatism.

Have you seen this article about IOLs. Any opinion on the Vision Membrane or when some of them will be approved?

http://www.crstoday.com/PDF%20Articles/ ... ration.pdf

Thanks again,
jmak
jmak

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:35 am

The astigmatism may be correctible though Astigmatic Keratotomy (AK), Limbal Relaxation Incisions (LRI), and/or placement of IOL incision. Even without the astigmatic component, RLE would probably be more predictable - if you are an appropriate candidate.

The concept of a dynamic IOL has been around for about as long as IOLs (late 1940s). Only time will tell if the IOL cited in your post will actually work and be practical.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It