Considering IOL

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Considering IOL

Postby cprevatt » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:52 am

I have been turned down for Lasik and PRK due to high prescription and thin corneas and am now considering IOL. I currently wear monovision contacts so would probably go with monovision IOL. What is the downside to IOL? What is the newest type of IOL available? Is focusing a problem? What is the expected recovery time?
cprevatt

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:56 pm

When you say IOL, I do not know if you mean an aphakic intraocular lens or phakic intraocular lens (P-IOL).

If you mean aphakic IOL, you are tallking about Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE).An issue that immediately comes to mind with RLE and someone who is highly myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) is the higher than normal probability of a retinal detachment caused by the trauma of surgery. If you read the article linked above, more detail will be provided.

If you mean P-IOL such as the Visian and Artisan, then the concerns would be endothelial cell loss, enough depth inside the eye, and possible trauma induced cataract, however the retina issue would probably not be as problematic.

The articles will help you understand these alternative to Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Insurance?

Postby Dave Altman » Fri May 04, 2007 10:27 am

Are there any known vision care or health care plans that cover RLE at the present time? I am 51 and an AARP member and located in Atlanta, Georgia.
Dave Altman

Return to Thinking About It