Surprises at pre-screening

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Surprises at pre-screening

Postby cindylu » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:53 am

Hi,
I recently had a pre-screening examination with an optometrist who works in tandem with my (possible)lasik surgeon. After the initial eye exam, which by the way, my vision has been stable for about four years(-2.00 and -2.25. However, when he did my natural pupil dialation check in low light he stated my pupils were large 8mm. He said the average person is around 6mm. He stated that this could possibly cause starbursts and halos after surgery. Well, it gets worse. After doing an eye pressure check, he discovered my pressure was 21 in both eyes, I am only 35! He did state that my optic nerve looked O.K, but is it safe to have refractive surgery with pressure this high? :( I have a consultation with the surgeon scheduled Monday. I wonder if I should just go ahead and cancel. It sounds as if I have to many pre-existing conditions to go ahead with it. The optometrist said he didn't see any reason why I couldn't get the procedure. What do you think?
cindylu

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:28 pm

You will want to read about Lasik pupil size issues to become informed on how this may affect you.

Elevated intraocular pressure (IOP) is commonly controlled with eye drop medication. Coincidentally, a common medication (Alphagan P) also reduces pupil size as a side effect. Treating the elevated IOP before elective surgery would be wise.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It