Laser Periphreal Iridectomy issues?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Laser Periphreal Iridectomy issues?

Postby silverflash » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:30 am

Hi. I am going to have a phakic ICL, visian IOL model 132 implanted in my right eye to correct a -10 diopter refractive error.

My left eye has been a trial and tribulation to say the least. I have 20/30 maybe 20/20 or so in that one after 2 ALKs in 1994, 1 ALK in 1995, 1 lift and suture in 2004, one PRK in 2004 late and one PRK in late 2005. I am happy with the left finally thanks to the PRK's, having only some issues at night etc... In daylight it is perfect....with that said, back to the right eye....

My doc at [a national chain] in NC felt that an ICL was the best course of action for my virgin right eye. I had the laser P.I. done almost 2 weeks ago. I have noticed especially at night around lights, 2 distinct images above the primary image that match the 11oclock and 1oclock postions of the holes. I am guessing this is due to the holes of the PI. I am guessing also that the holes are not fully covered by my lid normally. I am assuming this will not go away, but hoping it does or I just get used to it. Is this a bad sign of the the docs competency? Or is this the norm to have some visual disturbances like this after an iridectomy?

thanks...

Note: This post was edited to remove the name of a clinic.
silverflash

Postby silverflash » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:52 pm

so I was kinda worried about my unanswered questions falling on deaf ears from my doc, but I had a pleasant surprise this am. He called me and I realized he tried calling me the last couple days... My cell didn't let me know this except from the missed calls area. I usually get a message which I didn't in this case. Anyhow, he answered my questions:

optics will cover fully dilated pupil so i should not have glare and halos at night. he said, can you have glare? possibly, but will you in your case, don't think so. He sounded confident. He also told me that the aberrations I am seeing are caused by the iris pigment leak and it will go away. i talked about retinal detachment and he said it's true I have a higher risk (high myope plus surgery) but his screening process is pretty picky and he didn't see anything at all in the retina that is cause for a second opinion but he has no problem of me getting one if I feel that is necessary. I liked that, and I trust the guy's knwledge, so I feel no need for this.
i am pumped up about this. I wore a soft contact for like 10 minutes last night (to remember how binocular vision is) and I can't wait to have it again. I can't tolerate contacts whatsover and I have tried all the options. Too bad insurance won't pay for my surgery. In my case it is necessary because the difference between the eyeglass correction and the left eye already corrected vision is too much to adjust to.... ANy thoughts about this regarding insurance???

i'll keep everyone up to date on what happens.

thanks..
silverflash

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:59 pm

Virtually all major medical insurance policies exclude or limit elective and cosmetic surgery. You could argue that the imbalance causes aniseikonia, but the reason for the imbalance is a prior elective surgery. This would probably exclude payment.

A few optical policies "cover" refractive procedures, but it is actually just a discount contracted with a limited number of providers.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby silverflash » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:02 pm

yes, understood....

What I don't understand is why do insurance companies cover lung cancer and other conditions that are directly caused by the sufferers behaviour (smoking for example or excessive drinking leading to cirrhosis of the liver) but won't cover something that you are born through no fault of your own... such as bad eyes. I know nobody has died due to bad eyesight, though I feel you can because you might not see a hazard that will kill you. I know that's a philosophical argument but still, this mentality of the insurance companies irritates me. The "normal" person sees 20/20 with little if any vision correction. My -10 eye is anything but normal and I must suffer due to the physically limiting affects as well as the negative social impact. I tried to fix my eyesight 13 years ago, so as to attain a better quality of life and become a better contributor to society, which I have sort of become due to my increased vision from my left eye. I am half-way there which is better than 0% as I was before. My contacts hurt all the time back then, I couldn't focus on my task (school or work) due to the pain and wearing thick coke-bottle glasses caused me psychological trauma throughout my school years and I avoided that labeling afterwards by just sucking it up and wearing contacts and praying I would always be able to wear them with just no more than moderate pain.

There was once a time too, when blacks couldn't drink out of water fountains that whites drank out of. Things change as people become more civilized. I felt discrimination due to my visual handicap from fellow classmates and others, who would laugh and say "wow, look at those thick glasses". And people wouldn't give me the same chance as others without the coke-bottles on. People in general suck in this sense because they in general are somewhat uncaring and cold towards others. It's not their fault, it's the human side of being human. They just let it get the better of them and they are basically sheep. Do what others do...

Someday, vision correction will be a thing of the past. Baby's will be genetically "fixed" as to avoid bad vision, hearing, etc.........

that's my hope at least...
silverflash

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:19 pm

While I don't disagree with your comments, the cost of insurance premiums for a major medical policy that included elective and arguably cosmetic procedures would probably be more than anyone is willing to pay.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Ken42 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:14 pm

Hi,

I've got a similar problem with my iridotomy. I had it done 3 months
ago, and get the same images as you. It didn't go away.

You may want to check out an new group at

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/piolusers/

I've posted some info my my iridotomy there.

....Ken

Note: This post was edited to change an external link.
Ken42

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:39 pm

It appears that "image leak" is a somewhat common problem with iridotomy.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It