Newbie - Can somebody explain what the numbers mean...

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Newbie - Can somebody explain what the numbers mean...

Postby 4eyes4ever » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:50 pm

I'm sure this has been covered a number of times, but please help simplify my search so I'll head in the right direction. I've been reading the website all morning and the forum for about the last hour...but am still struggling with what all these numbers mean.

In the absence of a current prescription for my glasses; and since I've just now begun to research on Lasik, I called my eye dr. and got my old prescription and they gave me these numbers:

Right = -3.00 sphere; -1.00 cylinder; 13 axis
Left = -2.75 sphere; -1.50 cylinder; 170 axis

I know I'm nearsighted (since 4th grade) and thought I had a pretty large astigmatism, but after reading here, am I understanding that the astigmatism isn't as bad as I thought, and that I might be a reasonable candidate for Lasik???

Also, having believed all the hype I see on TV and thinking this was a miracle procedure...I assumed I could have it done, it'd be over and I'd be healed in a week or two and could go about my business.

Now my concerns are much greater after what I've read this day, as I am an independent computer graphic designer and my ability to eat and pay my bills depends on me being able to do my job which is very computer/detail oriented. I travel a lot (I just got back to the US after a 5 mo. job in the UK) and put in an ungodly amount of hours, sometimes 80-90 a week.

So, can anybody give me their opinion whether I could still do this (my job) with the 6 month healing process and given the number of complications that can slow that healing process during this time.

I thank you for your time and like others, think this website is a great resource and am grateful that it exists. I know my research is far from over, but would appreciate any tips/information that might help point me in the logical direction.
4eyes4ever

Re: Newbie - Can somebody explain what the numbers mean...

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:00 pm

4eyes4ever wrote:Right = -3.00 sphere; -1.00 cylinder; 13 axis
Left = -2.75 sphere; -1.50 cylinder; 170 axis

Your myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision is low. Your astigmatism is moderate, however an area for concern is that your astigmatism is more than half your myopia. This tends to be a bit more difficult to correct. You would probably be considered an appropriate candidate for Lasik, but there would be a higher probability that your left eye would need enhancement surgery to "fine tune" your vision.

Does your family have a history of keratoconus? This will be something the doctor will need to evaluate.

4eyes4ever wrote:Also, having believed all the hype I see on TV and thinking this was a miracle procedure...I assumed I could have it done, it'd be over and I'd be healed in a week or two and could go about my business.

The hype is possible, but it is not guaranteed. The majority of Lasik and All-Laser-Lasik patients have this type of recovery.

4eyes4ever wrote:Now my concerns are much greater...

That means you are better informed. That is a good thing.

4eyes4ever wrote:So, can anybody give me their opinion whether I could still do this (my job) with the 6 month healing process and given the number of complications that can slow that healing process during this time.

Lasik is all about potential risk compared to potential benefit. You know that perfect vision is not guaranteed and that there can be, even if a small portion of the time, vision after surgery that is not as good as vision before surgery. Only you can decide if the convenience of a reduced need for corrective lenses is worth the potential risk.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Newbie Reply Post - Keratoconus

Postby 4eyes4ever » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:58 pm

Nobody in my family has ever been diagnosed with keratoconus that anyone knows of. My father had cataracts removed but is almost 80 and my grandmother may have had glaucoma (sp?) but was 106. I don't believe her eye problems developed until she was over 100. It does seem as though as I age, my eyes are becoming more and more sensitive to bright sunlight, but I don't know if this is normal aging process or something else. My eye doctor hasn't ever said anything about it.

Sorry for the delay in answering your questions but I travel frequently. I while I appreciate the politically correct answer to my question about the ability to do computer work for 6 months or so after if problems develop, I really do need an 'opinion' as to whether or not I'd be able too. I am looking at an overseas assignment that would last 7 months or so beginning in June and am trying to decide whether or not I should pursue the Lasiks or wait until I am home.

My sister had Lasiks (I don't really have details as to her surgery) over 5 years ago and is now looking at an enhancement in one eye, but initially had no problems with dry eye or other stuff and said she would do it again in a heartbeat even tho' her eyesight is off these days.
4eyes4ever

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:21 am

Congrats on the longevity of your family. I suppose you can't complain much when a problem often associated with aging does not occur until after 100.

If the Lasik goes as the vast majority of Lasik goes, you will be able to be back to work within a few days. You will need to take extra care in eye care management, but that would not necessarily interfere with computer work.

If your Lasik does not go like the vast majority of others, you could have an extended period of healing issues that may be moderately to majorly disruptive to your ability to work at a computer.

It's difficult to predict the future. The odds of the majority mean little if you end up in the minority and have a problem.

Something you may want to consider is having surgery where you will be after June. Depending upon the location, you may have available technology that is superior than what is available in the US and there are excellent Lasik surgeons throughout the world.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby 4eyes4ever » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:22 am

Thank you so much for your observations, especially given your association with this website and knowledge gained from many obvious sources.

My overseas assignment will be in the UK, but given the exchange rate of the dollar to the pound, I think the job will have to be done here. But I will continue my research and believe I will go ahead and at least, schedule a consultation.

Best Regards, 4eyes4ever (not for long hopefully)
4eyes4ever

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:56 am

Even with the exchange rate, you may want to consider the UK. Lasik costs in the UK can be comparable to the US. If you want the name of someone to consider in London, email me.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It