possible candidate @ -9.25 ?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

possible candidate @ -9.25 ?

Postby devo45 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:51 am

Hello all. just a brief history.
46yrs old, both eyes are -9.25 (contacts) with little or no astigmatism. I have been wearing soft lenses for over 30 years with little or no problem. Just last nite I had an evaluation exam and was told the surgery would be possible with positive outcome, 20-20 +/-. The office manager & optometrist were very excited about the results.
The surgeon has successfully completed the procedure on patients with higher prescriptions than mine.
I did speak to a patient who had the surgery in mid February of this year with a -11.00 prescription. He had nothing but good things to say about his surgery. He would do it again if necessary.
The center uses the VISX4 (custom wavefront) unit and the surgeon has performed more than 40,000 procedures. He is the only Dr operating his machine.
I do not have the evaluation but the cornea thickness is in the 530-550 range.
Today I spoke with another Lasik center (custom wavefront) and they said I was on the borderline. An evaluation would tell the story.
I would like to hear from those of you with similar prescriptions on your experiences. Good or bad.
I have not had any success online finding any information about the Dr other than his website.
Thank you all
Devo
devo45

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:01 pm

Our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor may be a useful guide to evaluating your potential Lasik surgeon.

There is no doubt that your eyeglass prescription is on the high side, however it is within treatable range. Keep in mind that it's good to hear what others have to say about the process of Lasik, but the result of another person (good or bad) may not necessarily predict your outcome.

Something else to consider is that at 46 years old you are starting to see the effects of presybopia - the need for reading glasses or bifocals. You may want to consider monovision Lasik instead of full correction. Monovision is something you can try in contact lenses before committing to surgery.

You should be comfortable with an elevated probability of needing a second enhancement surgery to "fine tune" your vision after Lasik for such a large refractive error. Regression would be all but guaranteed. Your surgeon may deliberately overcorrect you into hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision to allow regression to bring you back to plano (no refractive error). You may want to read about Lasik overcorrection.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It