question regarding LASEK

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

question regarding LASEK

Postby integra15 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:20 pm

How is it different from lasik?
Last edited by integra15 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
integra15

Re: A couple of questions regarding LASEK

Postby LasikExpert » Tue May 01, 2007 2:11 am

integra15 wrote:I have read that the recovery from PRK is very very hard to get through, however I was wondering of LASEK is a bit easier to get through?

PRK has a longer vision recovery, but you will see some people in this forum (see our Just Had It section) who had PRK without much problem at all.

Several studies are showing that the difference in discomfort between PRK, and its cousins LASEK and Epi-Lasik is very small. It's more a matter of when the discomfort arrives: immediately or a few days later.

integra15 wrote:I noticed that this forum is full of some bad cases of complications and bad news stories for all laser eye surgeries, so what types of expectations should I have going into the sugary?

This forum presents a skewed reality. You may want to see our item on Nothing But Problems.

What you should expect can vary dramatically from one person to another and from one type of procedure to another. You really will need a comprehensive evaluaton from a competent doctor to get a reasonable understanding of what you can expect.

integra15 wrote:IFinally, and less importantly, does anyone know if these types of procedures are tax deductible?

Lasik is deductible as a medical expense, but verify with your tax advisor. You can also use your Flexible Spending Account.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Just hnad Lasek

Postby RakhshandaE » Thu May 03, 2007 6:30 pm

I had several irregularies in my corena's and they didn't recommend Lasik. I had Custom Lasek last Thursday and I have to say the first 3 days were uncomfortable but tolerable. Day 1 I kept my eyes closed most of the time because I couldn't stand to have them open. I also stayed in very low light and they gave me some nerve blocking meds and a narcotic pain killer to help and it did. Day 2 I could open my eyes for short periods of time but light was very uncomfortable and I still used a lot of ice packs. Each day it has been getting better and on day 4 I went back to work. I work at a computer all day so I rested my eyes alot. My vision was very blurry until today and it is starting to clear up. Reading at a distance is still difficult but I had a really high RX -800 with .15 astig. so just being able to see things right around me is a delight. I started driving during the daytime again yesterday but still have restrictions on night driving for another week or two. The procedure itself was easy and not scary at all. I was able to see everything they were doing but felt nothing. I don't have the dry eye problems that are common with Lasik and long term I think I made the right choice in having a more difficult recovery but safter conditions for my eyes. I have no regrets and can't wait for the changes I see every day it just keeps getting better. Oh one more thing they put a bandaid contact on my eyes for the first 4 days and the first day after they came off I did have a little bit of discomfort and dryness but it is gone today. I guess the outer layer has to resmooth it's self and that takes a few days. The healing rate of your eye is amazing and I find myself having a hard time believing I can actually see for the first time in 41 years. It is a great feeling. So from somone who has had a good experience I highly recomend having it done. Just make sure you have a highly qualified Dr. who has been doing it with good results for a significant period of time. Ask lots of questions and follow their pre and post opp regime. Good Luck
RakhshandaE

Return to Thinking About It