Type of work and Lasik

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Type of work and Lasik

Postby tdtl122 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:36 am

Hi, im thinking of getting Lasik done but im concerning if it would cause any harm to my eyes because of my job. I am a cosmetologist, so the place i work for deal with lots of chemical vapor, ex: developer, hair colors. I am wondering how long i should stay out of work and when can i resume my work with that condition.
Thanks in advance

TT
Last edited by tdtl122 on Tue May 01, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tdtl122

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:55 am

That is an excellent question.

For me to answer I'd require detailed research. I'd need to know which chemicals of all the products to which you would be exposed, the duration of exposure, quantity, etc. Probably a lot more hassle than is desired.

A surgeon may have provided Lasik to someone who works in your field and can provide anecdotal insight.

Hopefully someone who works in your environment and has had Lasik will respond with his or her experience.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby LasikExpert » Sat May 05, 2007 11:45 pm

A Lasik patient responded to me directly. Her statement is published here with her permission:

I currently work for myself doing waxing and spray tanning, but I did work in salons prior to this. I was in a salon for 8 hours every day, 5 days a week and the entire time I was there, I was exposed to the fumes from the nail technicians. I do not think it affected me at all. I have been away from salons for over a year now and I cannot perceive any difference in the way my eyes feel. Doing spray tanning and waxing also exposes me to various fumes. I am not affected in any way. Having said that, [a Lasik patient] would be advised to wear a face mask when doing nail work to protect her lungs. The fumes are toxic!

The experience of one person is not a study, but it does show what is possible.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tdtl122 » Sun May 06, 2007 3:27 pm

Thank you for your comment, lasikexpert. I had my eyes lasik done on 4/26 and i asked doctor when i can go back to work in a salon. He said i should wait for at least a week before i go back to work.
tdtl122

Postby LasikExpert » Sun May 06, 2007 6:18 pm

This will all be valuable information for anyone who works in a nail salon and is considering Lasik. Thanks for asking and contributing.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It