boarderline canidate?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

boarderline canidate?

Postby mgoblue23 » Tue May 01, 2007 12:37 am

I have been thinking about getting lasik for about a yr now and finally went to see a Sx. They said my Rx is,
OD -8.5/ +2.75 / 95
OS -7.75/ +2/ 89
corneal thickness 540/ 540
pupils 4.5->6.5 dilated

some people are saying I am a good not great canidate for lasik, others say that I am well within the range, but might need enhancements, still others say I should go the PRK route (which I am leary of becasue of the longer recovery time and pain). I am 27 yo and a doctor, just wanted to get some more opinions before I make a decision. Or is this paralysis by analysis?
mgoblue23

Re: boarderline canidate?

Postby LasikExpert » Tue May 01, 2007 2:04 am

mgoblue23 wrote:I have been thinking about getting lasik for about a yr now and finally went to see a Sx. They said my Rx is,
OD -8.5/ +2.75 / 95
OS -7.75/ +2/ 89
corneal thickness 540/ 540
pupils 4.5->6.5 dilated

Based upon these stats alone and without any other analysis, you have been told correctly. Your refractive error is within the correctable parameters and you are not a great candidate.

You have high astigmatism, but within the range. You have high myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision, but within the range. You would undoubtedly have regression of effect. Your surgeon may deliberately overcorrect you so you will regress back to plano, not overcorrect and plan enhancement surgery after 3-6 months, or a combination of both.

For you, refractive surgery would not be an event. It would be a process.

Wavefront-guided Lasik even with a relatively thin flap could still affect nearly 50% of your cornea. This is an indicator toward long-term instability. A surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik would reduce the risk of inducing corneal instability, but would increase the risk of corneal haze. Intraoperative Mitomycin C would reduce the probability of corneal haze to about nil, but makes some dramatic changes to corneal cytokines and fibroblasts.

mgoblue23 wrote:Or is this paralysis by analysis?

That is an occupational hazard, especially with an elective procedure.

Compared as a percentage of the population, ophthalmologists have refractive surgery at a rate about 3-5 times that of the general population, but that is still about 35%.

If your work will require exquisite detail such as micro surgery or a lot of microscope work, you may want to tread very carefully. Surgery is always about potential risk vs. potential benefit. Consider how a small vision aberration may affect your livelihood. Is it worth the convenience of a reduced need for corrective lenses? This is a question everyone must ask themselves, no matter what the profession. This is a question I cannot (and refuse to) answer.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

update

Postby mgoblue23 » Sat May 05, 2007 2:38 am

I went on 2 more evaluation and both got the same numbers for my Rx, but different from the first
OD -8.25/2.5/94
OS-7.75/2/89
thickness, both used the obstran or wavefront sp? mechine 570/ 560

pupil 3.5->4.5 dim room

one place said LASEK and the other said custome lasik with intralase

I got a better feeling from both of these docs then the first.

Well I got 2 more consult next week then I will probable make a decision.

thanks again this is a great website!!!
mgoblue23

Postby LasikExpert » Sat May 05, 2007 7:37 pm

Your small pupil size is important and an advantage. The smaller the size of the naturally dilated pupil in a low light environment, the small the area that needs full correction. The smaller the area that needs full correction, the less tissue required to be removed to make the desired changes. The less tissue that needs to be removed, the more tissue that is untouched and the more stable the cornea.

Keep doing your research and let us know what you decide.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It