Not sure what forum to post this in.

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Not sure what forum to post this in.

Postby JPD » Wed May 16, 2007 4:31 am

Glenn,

I've noticed here on your site, along with some other places that it seems most, if not almost all people who complain of night vision problems have had there procedure done with the Customvue Visx laser. I'm wondering why this is and if there's been any study which shows a direct corralation between bad night vision outcomes and the Visx laser?

I realize the Visx is the most commonly used laser in the U.S. and that will lead to a higher number of people with complications, but that being said the percentage seems awfuly high.

What do you think, coincidence?
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 16, 2007 6:41 am

My favorite fun with statistics:

Statistical fact:

98% of all pedestrian vs. auto accidents occur when the pedestrian is within the crosswalk.

An analysis of this statistic:

Crosswalks are the most dangerous place for pedestrians to cross the street.

In the US, Visx has the highest market share of any of the excimer lasers. CustomVue wavefront-guided ablation is the most advanced method of ablation. A big part of what you see is the pedestrian in a crosswalk effect.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JPD » Wed May 16, 2007 2:52 pm

LasikExpert wrote:A big part of what you see is the pedestrian in a crosswalk effect.

Yes, I can see that being the case if you just look at the total number. But if you look at percentages, it sure seems much higher also. I know Visx has the largest market share, but it can't be 95%, and it seems that's about the percentage I've seen of people with night vision problems say that had the Visx for there procedure. Are there no stats which show a percentage from one laser to the next?
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 16, 2007 4:29 pm

Now you are getting into the realm of looking at only one crosswalk and not using controls.

PubMed.com has several publications, but they tend to be a comparison between two lasers or preop v. postop, not a comparison between all lasers and not a comparison of night vision problems between lasers.

J Refract Surg. 2007 Jan;23(1):26-38
Wavefront-guided LASIK for myopia using the LADAR CustomCornea and the VISX CustomVue.

Br J Ophthalmol. 2007 Apr 2;
Night Vision Disturbances after Successful LASIK Surgery.

Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 2007 Feb;85(1):106-10.
High-order aberrations and preoperative associated factors.

The study you seek is yet unpublished.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JPD » Wed May 16, 2007 5:18 pm

LasikExpert wrote:The study you seek is yet unpublished.

Thanks Glenn,

I think you've indirectly answered my question. I guess if there was really an obvious corralation, like it seemed to me, then there would be a study which presents some evidence and shows some proof. The fact there is not, most likely means I am just seeing what's in the crosswalk.
JPD

Return to Thinking About It