Future Technology Direction and Timing

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Future Technology Direction and Timing

Postby superfreaker » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:30 pm

One of the things people often cite as a reason for putting off getting their eyes zapped is possible innovation in future technologies that can reduce risk for certain groups.

I have high astigmatism and both pupils are very large (9.4 and 9.1). While I realize there is not an absolute correlation between pupil size and night vision issues, the risk has been proven to be elevated in these case.

I had been considering Lasek and epi-Lasek, but the treatment and ablation areas are still below my pupil size.

My question is, do you need the next generation of lasers moving toward larger treatment areas, or just more accuracy? Any news on the recent developments?

Thanks.
superfreaker

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:25 pm

The technology available today is not likely to provide someone with high astigmatism (more than about 3.00 diopters) and large pupils a predictably excellent outcome. It may occur, it may even be reasonably likely, but the probability of irregularities and multiple surgery (enhancements) would likely be elevated.

Several Lasik laser platforms are able to ablate out to the size of your pupils in conventional ablation mode (off label), but whether or not they could resolve your particular refractive error would require a comprehensive evaluation by a competent doctor.

Also, have you been evaluated for keratoconus? This is a naturally ocurring condition of the cornea that often presents as large astigmatism. Keratoconus may be a contraindication for refractive surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby superfreaker » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:24 pm

Thank you for the reply Glenn.
It looks like I may be waiting it out then.

I did notice that the two Bausch & Lomb Technolas lasers are capable of handling treatment and ablation zones much larger than my pupils. Do you think this is something to look into further and try to find a local facility that has this particular laser?

My prescription is as follows:

D: -0.50/-0.25
C: -2.25/-1.75
A:070/120

Thank you again.
superfreaker

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:06 am

It appears that your cylinder (astigmatism) is not that high. This is well within the treatable range for most excimer lasers. You need the unique combination of large optical correction zone and astigmatic correction. I've already provided a link to our article on astigmatism correction. I think your best next step is to get a comprehensive evaluation from a competent surgeon.

We have a few idea on how to find a competent surgeon.

8^)
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It