Questions and Report on my surgery

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Questions and Report on my surgery

Postby aspenice » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:15 am

Hi,
I have been reading for quite sometime now and wanted to post on my surgery as well as post some questions.

I was very reluctant to do the surgery but my husband had it done about 6 weeks before me and I just got tired of glasses. I always said I will wait until new technology came out and all the excuses for not doing it. Well, I found a pretty good surgeon. One note: I wished I sought out more 2nd and 3rd opinions as this might have made me feel better. It isn't that I would have picked or not picked the surgeon I did the surgery with but I should have done this for me.

Anyways, my prescription is 4.25 in the right eye and 3.75 in the left with a mild astigmatism. I don't know much more than that. I always wore glasses and sometimes contact lenses but after having my child almost 2 years ago I found that I couldn't wear contacts anymore. Well, I did the Wavefront lasik on May 11, 2007. I was so scared. I almost didn't go thru with it and looking back I wished I would havewaited until I was 100 percent. The surgery went fine and I saw 20/20 the next day and hardly suffered any pain but my vision isn't great and I am a bit worried. The office said that the healing takes 3-6 months and the eye flp doesn't heal for 9-12 months. I got the basic instructions about what to do and what not to do.

Overall, I am okay with my results but I don't know what to expect with realistic results.

1. How long before I acutally can wash my entire face with soap and water? Can I touch my eyes now? I asked the office and they said never really rub them. You can't believe how hard this is.

2. I still can't see right. When I am watching TV I see the tv print but double but not bad. My vision is still pretty blurry and not sharp. Is this regression or my eyes healing?

3. I notice some pain like a pressure and knife stab. Healing factor?

4. I had the permanent punctual plugs put in my eyes seem really dry which probably affects my vision. I put drops in but the drops seem to make my eyes more blurry and dry. Why is that?

5. During this time of healing, can I swim in a pool and ocean? The directions say yes after 2-3 weeks but when I think about it my eye is still healing and what if some particle or chemical gets into my eye while healing. Will it do damage?

I have to say that I had 2 days of really good vision but I also was taking my Omega 3's and vitmins which aid in the healing.

I am so thankful for waking up in the morning and being able to see. I really would do the surgeyr over but would have done some things differently. Thanks for reading.

Aspenice
aspenice

Re: Questions and Report on my surgery

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:22 am

aspenice wrote:1. How long before I acutally can wash my entire face with soap and water? Can I touch my eyes now? I asked the office and they said never really rub them. You can't believe how hard this is.

Rubbing the eyes is bad for several reasons. For the short term, you have just had Lasik and it takes a while for Lasik flap healing. You don't want to accidentally dislodge your flaps.

Rubbing the eyes is bad for everyone because it releases free radicals. Without getting into the mundane details, free radicals in the cornea can promote similar effects to aging. It’s just best to never vigorously rub your eyes.

You need to follow your doctor’s instructions about washing your face with soap and water.

aspenice wrote:2. I still can't see right. When I am watching TV I see the tv print but double but not bad. My vision is still pretty blurry and not sharp. Is this regression or my eyes healing?

Sounds like healing. With your starting prescription is seems very unlikely that you will experience regression.

aspenice wrote:3. I notice some pain like a pressure and knife stab. Healing factor?

Report this to your doctor. It sounds like dry eyes. Your normal sensing system is compromised during the healing stage. This means that you may not know when your eyes are dry until they are hurting pretty bad, and that the system to keep them moist may be compromised. Read about Lasik dry eye issues. Find a regimen for management that works...and stick to it.

aspenice wrote:4. I had the permanent punctual plugs put in my eyes seem really dry which probably affects my vision. I put drops in but the drops seem to make my eyes more blurry and dry. Why is that?

Blurry would be because the eye drops change the refractive error. You may want to try different brands that have a different thickness (viscosity). Be sure they are preservative-free. Even the “preservative-free on contact” have preservatives. Our article lists several different brands and thier active ingredients.

aspenice wrote:5. During this time of healing, can I swim in a pool and ocean? The directions say yes after 2-3 weeks but when I think about it my eye is still healing and what if some particle or chemical gets into my eye while healing. Will it do damage?

We have an article on Lasik and swimming that you may find helpful. All the microscopic things floating around in pools and seawater can be problematic if your flap has not healed well. Your doctor can tell you when it is okay to go in the water.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby aspenice » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:09 am

Thanks for your answers but I have some more in detail questions. I read about the flap healing and it looks like it takes 24 months? With regards to the soap and water if you shut your eyes I am sure you can use this??? Thereason fro my concern is that I love wearing make up and haven't been able to use it since May. How can I put make up on and not be able to touch my eye when taking it off and washing my face?

The healing process for the average person is about how long? With wavefront, I heard the healing is quite slow. True? Does the crispness eventually come? What are the last side effects to usually go away with wavefront?

Wth regards to my dry eyes, I will talk with the office. I am using the single packets of refresh drop by allergan. They were given to me by the office. read about the drops but how do I pick the right one. Would you suggest any over another? Which ones does one stay away from? You mentioned the drops change the refractive error; what does that mean and is it permanent?

My instructions say that I can go swimming and in the ocean 2-3 weeks after but after reading alot that direction seems a little too fast. Whe does the eye heal enough to not worry about swimming and sweat and normal day acitvities I never use to worry about?>

Thanks for reading and your help on these questions. I really am still stressed about this.
aspenice

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:34 pm

aspenice wrote:Thanks for your answers but I have some more in detail questions. I read about the flap healing and it looks like it takes 24 months?

As you can see from the article there are stages. Although the Lasik flap healing process takes months, the flap is secure in a relatively short period of time. In fact within a few seconds after surgery you are able to blink without expectation of the flap moving.

aspenice wrote:With regards to the soap and water if you shut your eyes I am sure you can use this??? Thereason fro my concern is that I love wearing make up and haven't been able to use it since May. How can I put make up on and not be able to touch my eye when taking it off and washing my face?

As a (very) general rule make-up should not be used for the first week after surgery, however there may be other issues that delay this longer. You need to seek your doctor's recommondation on this. S/he knows your situation best.

aspenice wrote:The healing process for the average person is about how long?

Visual function after Lasik should return within a few minutes to a few days. Flap healing is longer. If Lasik induces dry eyes it may take a few months for it to resolve. If there is edema (inflammation), more time is required. For purposes of outcomes reporting we consider the process to be six months.

aspenice wrote:With wavefront, I heard the healing is quite slow. True?

No. There is virtually no difference in the healing time between a wavefront-guided ablation and a conventional ablation.

aspenice wrote:Does the crispness eventually come?

For the vast majority of Lasik patients, yes.

aspenice wrote:What are the last side effects to usually go away with wavefront?

That is imposible to predict. Every person is different.

aspenice wrote:Would you suggest any (artificial tear) over another?

They need to be preservative-free. Each brand has a slightly different formula. Through trial and error you will find which you like most. As you heal, your artificial tear needs will likely change and you may switch to another brand/type.

aspenice wrote:Which ones does one stay away from?

Those with any kind of preservative.

aspenice wrote:You mentioned the drops change the refractive error; what does that mean and is it permanent?

The artificial tears are clear and have volume. That is exactly the same as any other lens. Think of artificial tears as a liquid contact lens. The extra liquid provides some change in refractive error that will disappate as the excess artificial tears are absorbed or expelled. That may be a few seconds to a few minutes.

aspenice wrote:My instructions say that I can go swimming and in the ocean 2-3 weeks after but after reading alot that direction seems a little too fast. Whe does the eye heal enough to not worry about swimming and sweat and normal day acitvities I never use to worry about?

In nearly all instances you will be better served by following the advice of your doctor than by any advice you receive over the Internet. Follow your doctor's advice.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It