borderline dry eyes/restasis worth the risk?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

borderline dry eyes/restasis worth the risk?

Postby bernler » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:45 am

I was scheduled for custom lasik in 2 weeks. In filling out a questionnaire at the eye doctor, I answered yes to using accutane. I used it 20 years ago.

The doc did a schimers test as a precaution. It came back i think 8 in one eye and 10 in the other. He prescribed restasis for 6 weeks prior to surgery and 4 weeks after or until i do not need it.

He didn't seem concerned and i was appreciative that his philosophy was "better safe than sorry".

My question/concern is if my risk of dry eyes post surgery is materially higher given my situation? Will the restasis eliminate this risk if my scores improve in 6 weeks. Besides being very expensive it has made me think twice about the surgery at all.

I would appreciate any thoughts.
bernler

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:39 am

Accutane is a drug commonly used for resolution of acne and its use would be a cause for concern when considering Lasik. See our article about Lasik and Acne. After 20 years (I'm impressed you remembered that) the accutane is undoubtedly out of your system, but fortunately your doctor double checked for dry eyes.

Lasik induced dry eye is a rather common short-term problem, but on relatively rare ocassions it can be a long-term complication. Your current natural dry eye issues need to be resolved before an elective eye surgery. It may also be that a Lasik alternative such as PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, or even Lasik with an ultra-thin flap may be more appropriate.

See where you are in a month and a half and discuss your options with your surgeon at that time. I'm sure you are disappointed by the delay, but it truely is much better to be safe than sorry.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

follow up

Postby bernler » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:46 pm

i appreciate your insight. Do you suggest the restasis, hydro-eye or a combination for this next month? What schimers level do u view as "safe" to go ahead with the procedure?
bernler

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:50 pm

Restasis is an anti-inflammatory that is designed to increase the flow of the liquids that constitute ocular tears by opening the tiny channels through which the tears travel. HydroEyes is a supplement to increase the supply of basic ingredients from which tears are created. Each have a different function and should be used together per doctor instructions. We have a detailed article on dry eye treatment that you may want to read.

The Shirmer test is only one measurement of the tearing function. I think it is best to leave the decision of what is best to your doctor who is examining your eyes.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thanks!

Postby bernler » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:51 pm

I appreciate your help!
bernler