Any "Before Surgery Advice"?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Postby Vickie777 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:41 pm

I am 52 years old.
My glasses rx is: OD -0.75 -1.00 065
OS +1.75 -1.75 085
I have been in tri-focals (+2.5) for 3 years now. Due to a recent diagnosis of migraines which my PCP believes is related to my vision. (I feel like my eyes are being PULLED out of my head w/glasses on) I have explored several brands of toric lenses for the last 2 months with resulting dry eyes (which I never had before) and rotation difficulties. Because I don't have the option of continuing with glasses without the headaches returning, I have scheduled Lasik for July 12th. I have been reading and finding LOTS of great info on your sight and just thought I would throw my situation to you for any information or advice you might have for me.

Thanks,
Vickie
Vickie777

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:08 am

At age 52 you are at least partly presbyopic. You have moderate astigmatism in both eyes. One eye is myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) and the other hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted). Your eyes are fighting battles on many fronts in an attempt to be able to see well. Headaches are sometimes the consequence.

Glasses don't (and probably can't) provide the balance and vision quality you need. You have already unsuccessfully tried contact lenses. Investigating laser eye surgery would be an obvious option.

Your dry eye with contacts does raise a concern. If you are peri- or post-menopausal dry eye may occur naturally. Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) can also contribute to dry eyes. I'm sure that you have read here that Lasik dry eye is a relatively common complication, but is fortunately also usually short-term.

I recommend that you consider as an alternative to Lasik a surface ablation like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik. These reduce risk somewhat by eliminating the Lasik flap, but there is a longer vision recovery. Surface ablations also tend to be less likely to induce dry eye. Discuss if this option would be appropriate with your surgeon.

Of course we have a list of Lasik doctors we have certified, or use our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor to help evaluate a potential doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Vickie777 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:21 pm

Thank you for your advice. I, of course, want to choose the RIGHT procedure. Everything I read about PRK, LASEK and Epi-Lasik say they are for people with thin corneas and the doctor says that I have "corneas that most people would pay for". He said that mine are unusually thick. Does this make a difference?

Thanks again,
Vickie
Vickie777

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:15 pm

A surface ablation is almost always an appropriate alternative. A cornea too thin may make Lasik inappropriate and a surface ablation would be required. PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik are not just for those with thin corneas.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Vickie777 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:22 pm

Again, thank you for your advice. I am calling my doctor.

Vickie
Vickie777

Return to Thinking About It