My New Life as a Cyclops!

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

My New Life as a Cyclops!

Postby joel51 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

Well, it’s been 12 days since I had my eyes done. I tried to portray a very positive outlook when I first posted my experience with Intralase Lasik (see my post, http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... d3be84255e for details) but over the last few days I’ve become depressed, impatient, and scared not knowing what the future holds for my eyes. I guess I’m looking for a glimmer of hope.

I have no issues with my right eye. In fact, my right eye is doing great and is the reason why I am able to write this post, watch TV, drive to work, work on a computer all day, etc. But I am really concerned about my left eye.

My wife (who has perfect eyes thank goodness) asked me what my left eye sees. The only way I could explain it to her was to have her put on my old prescription glasses, close her right eye, and look around with her left eye. I think this gave her somewhat of a perspective on how I am now seeing out of my left eye.

Nothing comes into focus with my left eye. From the tip of my nose to billions of light years away, everything is a blur. I feel like someone needs to turn my left eye clockwise to bring things into focus.

I realize that it’s been only 12 days and that Lasik is “more of a six month process than a 20 Minute Miracle” but I have a few questions and I’m hoping the answers will give me some comfort.

1. Considering that my right eye was seeing 20/15 the day after the surgery is it reasonable for me to expect, at this early stage, my left eye to be able to focus on, say, anything at all?

2. I’ve already called my doctor’s office twice to let him know that my left eye is not focusing on anything and the tech keeps telling me to wait until my one month appointment. Should I continue to bug them or should I just wait. After all, they really can’t do anything for me at this time, can they? I don’t suspect it’s a flap problem or an issue with the healing process.

3. Can prescription drugs such as Ambian (misspelled because it’s a spam word) or Relpax have an effect on the healing process? If so I’d be more than happy to drop the use of these medicines to get my left eye back. I’ve taken two Ambians and one Relpax since the surgery. This is probably a better question for my doctor.

4. Could the fact that my right eye is the one doing all the work be the reason why it is somewhat sorer and dryer than my left eye?

I find it ironic. A week before I had my surgery I was telling several folks that I was going to have the surgery. One fellow jumped in and told me that I’d be wasting my money because my eyes will regress. I almost didn’t have the surgery because of what he said. Now I pray every day that my left eye will regress.

Thanks for letting me vent. I haven’t by any means given up hope. I just need some warm fuzzies now and then.

Mr. Cyclops
joel51

Postby JPD » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:46 pm

This surgery really threw your brain a curve ball, and it still hasn't adjusted yet. How long did your doc say it would take for your brain to get used to this?

Your brain has to relearn how to focus between the two eyes, and it's still doing so. I'm sure you be fine.
JPD

Postby joel51 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:24 pm

Hi JPD,

Thanks for the encouraging words. Actually I’m not sure the doc even knows I have this issue going on because I keep getting the technicians when I call, which is understandable. My doctor had me do a follow up visit the day after the surgery and told me that everything looks great. I then scheduled a one month follow up visit for 7/30.

I guess I should just wait, instead of jumping the gun, until my appointment on 7/30. By then I will probably be in better shape.

I do have a call into my doctor’s office currently to discuss my left eye. When they get back with me I’ll let the post know what is going on.

Thanks
joel51

Postby movingblur » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:36 pm

I don't know if this will be all that encouraging because it's all about waiting, but since I had monovision custom Lasik last October (at age 54) and had some similar issues I thought I'd reply. I regained my close up vision pretty quickly which was good since I work on a computer all day. I was back to that within a week of my surgery. I had problems seeing anything beyond about arm's reach very well and my night vision was really 'not there'.

I am much, much, much better today - 8 months after surgery. The improvements were continuous and slow, but steady. I still have a little trouble in environments where I must change focus a lot - like shopping. In addition to the healing that apparently takes a while in 50 year old eyes (!), retraining of my 50+ year old brain was slow as well. I didn't think that would be an issue since I was already wearing monovision contacts and thought my brain was dealing pretty well. There must be some difference there that I didn't take into account.

I talked to (and saw) technicians at first as well and did the Snellen tests which always indicated that my vision was pretty good (20/20 and 20/30 at first and later 20/15 and 20/20) I'd leave the office and wonder why I couldn't see what I thought was 20/20.

All of that to say that it was a much slower process than I anticipated and the changes were always gradual. I am still seeing improvements even now more than 8 months later.

Discouraging because the answer may be time and who really anticipates it's going to take this long. But today (and even at 6 months) I am happy that I had the Lasik.

I hope you find that it just takes time and that you don't have any other issues. Best of luck.
movingblur

Postby joel51 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi Movingblur. Actually, I found your words encouraging. Thanks for responding.

After I told the doctor’s office that I couldn’t focus on anything with my left eye, they wanted me to come in right away. I went to the doctor’s office the other day and the doctor told me that both of my eyes are +1 D from where they should be. He suggested that it could take 3 months or so before my eyes heal enough to compensate for the +1 D. He also told me that in two weeks they will determine if I need to wear temporary contacts to stimulate the healing in my eyes since, in his words, my eyes are healing at a slow rate.

After two weeks I still can’t read anything without reading glasses. Still my right eye is the one doing all the work as my left eye is basically useless. I work on a computer all day as well and can’t even read the keyboard without reading glasses.

I’m glad you responded to my post. I’m going to go out on a limb and make a prediction. I predict that in 6 months I will be totally pleased with my eyes and the outcome of the Lasik surgery.

I’ll keep you posted.

BTW, I noticed another scary thing to having this Lasik surgery. I took a shower this morning and realized that I can now see myself in the mirror when I get out. Talk about scary.

Thanks
joel51

Postby joel51 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:42 pm

This is my 3.5 weeks update on my custom IntraLASIK blended vision results. But, before I continue with my update I would first like to thank the administrators of this forum. I think this is a great forum. I have learned a lot from this forum and find myself visiting it every day. I guess you could say that I’m hooked. I find comfort and hope in the words from others who have had a surgical procedure performed on their eyes. Once again thanks for this forum. If you don’t mind I think I will use it to log my Lasik journey.

My left eye, the one corrected for far vision, is still giving me fits. This morning I couldn’t read, with my left eye: my watch, the clock on the wall, my dashboard, license plates, bumper stickers (a good thing sometimes), street signs, numbers on building (unless they where in, say, a million point font), elevator numbers, my work calendar, my keyboard, nor my monitor. With my right eye I could read just about everything except my watch and the fine print on my Refresh Plus eye drop dispenser.

I know it’s only 3.5 weeks but I’m trying to understand my vision. I’m really confused when strange things happen like what happened the other evening. Two evenings ago I went with my wife and son to a movie (Transformers, it was cool.) The strange thing was, my left eye was the one seeing the movie the clearest. To my left eye, the movie was crystal clear and in sharp focus. However, the red EXIT sign right next to the movie screen was a blur. How strange is this?

Why is it that everything up to this point after my surgery has been a big blur for my left eye except movie screens and clocks that emit blue lights? I am . . so confused.

My right eye, the one doing all the work for the most part, seems to be dryer and scratchier than my left eye. Could this be due to the fact that my right eye is working harder?

I’ll keep this forum posted on my progress. I found out that yesterday a co-worker of mine had the exact same procedure with the same doctor that I chose. Maybe he and I can compare notes. I’m sure he will be pleased with the outcome.

Thanks for letting me blab.

Joel
joel51

Postby charles.robinson » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:03 pm

My only thought regarding the red/blue thing is that it has to do with the wavelength of the light. Red light has long, slow waves and blue waves are closer together (Loosely and inaccurately explained but I hope it gets the point across at least).

If there is some sort of defect in your eye that needs to heal away, I'm guessing that there is some sort of interference pattern that is being caused in your eye that doesn't affect the short wavelenghts (blue) but does with the longer wavelengths (red).

It would be interesting to test this theory out on, say, a string of christmas lights! As you work your way up the ROYGBIV scale to see which color is actually the sharpest.

(Sorry - don't mean to turn you into a science experiment...)

-Charles
charles.robinson

Postby joel51 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:16 pm

Charles, what you say makes perfect sense. I did some research on the Internet and it seems that others are able to see blue lights better than red lights as well. I hope, for me, this is a defect, as a result of the Lasik, that will mend itself in time. I’m still early in the healing process at this point.

Do you have any clue why it is that while I’m starring at a movie screen in a theater my left eye sees it crystal clear but as soon as I look away everything else, at every distance, is a blur to my left eye? This one really has me stumped.

Thanks, Joel
joel51

Postby joel51 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:18 pm

If you will indulge me, I have yet another question about my vision that someone may be able to answer. I chose the blended vision (like monovision) surgery and I noticed that objects seen with my left eye appear smaller than objects seen with my right eye. I believe this condition is called aniseikonia. My left eye was treated for distance and is overcorrected at this point.

My question is, will my brain adjust to this in time or will this condition resolve itself as my left eye regresses (if it does) or is this something I need to be concerned about at this early stage (4 weeks) in my healing process.

Thanks All.
joel51

Postby joel51 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:25 pm

It’s officially one month (31 days) since my surgery and I’m still, for the most part, feeling like a cyclops. I say for the most part because sometimes, probably 10% of the time, my left eye kicks in and is able to focus on objects at a far distance, 200 yards plus away. I still can’t read anything with my left eye but that’s old news. On a positive note, my left eye does help keep my face looking symmetrical.

Tomorrow I have another appointment with my doctor. Last time I had an appointment they had me read the Snellen chart. They first had me read it with my right eye. I was able to read the 20/15 row. Then they had me read the Snellen chart with my left eye. They told me to read the smallest row even if I had to guess. Well, I could make out the E at the 20/200 row but the 20/100 row was a blur. But because I had just read the 20/100 row with my right eye perfectly and because I now had this row committed to memory, it was a piece of cake for me to read it with my left eye. I just had to guess. Um, let me see, could it read F P? According to my doc, I was now reading 20/100 with my left eye based on the Snellen chart.

Tomorrow at my appointment, I am going to insist that I first read the Snellen chart with my left eye. No more guessing. Then I’ll read it with me right eye. This to me makes a whole lot more sense.

Also, last visit I asked them to let me know what my prescription is. They told me my corneas where in perfect shape, I don’t have any astigmatism, and that I still have some healing to go. I didn’t get anything is writing. Tomorrow at my appointment I’m going to insist that they put in writing the exact prescription for both my eyes. I want to know what my sphere, cylinder, and axis are for both my OS and OD. I’m not walking away from this appointment completely ignorant.

Sorry if I sound negative, I’ve just had two bad left eye days in a row. I really don’t want anyone to perceive my posts as yet another horror story. In fact earlier in my novel I predicted that in 6 months I will be totally pleased with my eyes and the outcome of the Lasik surgery. I still believe in this prediction. In fact I’m sure that if given the choice I would do it all over again. It’s just a little scary for me right now.

I have had some huge successes. The other day the space station flew over head and I was able to watch its 4 minute course across the sky without any glasses at all. This was wonderful. Even my left eye was working that night. Another success is that I no longer need glasses to clip my toe nails. I can’t tell you how afraid I was to clip my toe nails without my glasses prior to the surgery. Ok, so now I have to use glasses to clip my finger nails (never had to do that before.) I guess you have to go with the puts and takes.

I’ll keep the forum posted on the outcome of my appointment tomorrow. I’m really looking forward to it.

Thanks..
joel51

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:07 pm

joel51 wrote:I believe this condition is called aniseikonia. My question is, will my brain adjust to this in time or will this condition resolve itself as my left eye regresses (if it does) or is this something I need to be concerned about at this early stage (4 weeks) in my healing process.
The brain can adjust to some degree of aniseikonia, but each person's experience is different. The difference in size is because one eye is plano (no refractive error) and the other is hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted).

joel51 wrote:Tomorrow at my appointment I’m going to insist that they put in writing the exact prescription for both my eyes.
Not only is this helpful for those of us following your progress, but it may indicate that you would do well with a pair of glasses for those times when you absolutely must have excellent vision.

joel51 wrote:No more guessing.
You should guess after surgery only the same amount you guessed before surgery - which should have been zero.

joel51 wrote:I no longer need glasses to clip my toe nails.
The miracles of modern medicine never cease to amaze and awe!
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby joel51 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:21 am

Today I had my doctor’s appointment (one month out) to examine my eyes and help me determine why I am having issues. After some extensive testing the doctor determined what my problem is and came up with a solution.

The problem:

My left eye, the one corrected for distance, was over corrected. Thus the reason why everything I look at with my left eye is blurry except on those strange and weird occasions when my left eye decides to earn its keep. Like the last time I went to see a movie.

My right eye, the one corrected for near vision, was under corrected. Thus the reason why I am seeing 20/20 out of my right eye but I can’t read a book, a menu, or pop a pimple without reading glasses.

The intent of having blended vision surgery was so I could see far and up close without correction. Neither is the case with my eyes now.

The solution:

An enhancement. Scheduled in two weeks. On both eyes.

Hopefully this will finally put an end to this “I’m a Cyclops” mumble jumble.

Maybe we should create a forum titled “Just Had It..Again” ;-)

Thanks,

Stay tuned!
joel51

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:51 am

I highly recommend that you consider initially having enhancement on the overcorrected eye only. After recovery, you can decide if you want to do the same on the other eye which is apparently close to plano.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It