Post-lasik headache and sinus pain

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Post-lasik headache and sinus pain

Postby dede » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:17 pm

I had my lasik surgery a little over a week ago. After having a few days of dry, itchy eyes, I am now experiencing headaches behind one eye. My sinuses have also been bothering me.

I have read from previous posts that dry eye could be an issue but my eyes feel hydrated and I have been using the drops even if my eyes feel moist.

I had monovision correction and one eye is 20/20 and the other is 20/30. Could this be an accomodation issue? If so, does it go away after your eyes have adapted?

Thanks
dede

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:39 pm

The dry itchy eyes are probably the primary clue. It seems most likely and the simplest answer is that you are suffering from Lasik induced temporary dry eyes. Your eyes may be dry and you do not know it. During surgery the nerves that carry the signals from the cornea to the brain are severed. You cannot rely on your eyes telling you they are dry until those nerves regain sensitivity. See Lasik dry eye treatment.

The eye tearing system is directly connected to the sinus system. An irritated sinus can present as headaches and pain behind the eye. If the eyes are dry, the sinus can become dry and irritated.

Even if the eyes are actually not dry, common Lasik related care can affect the sinus. The eye medications you are using also drain out the punctum and into the sinus. These eye drops may be causing irritation.

Many patients receive punctum occlusion plugs immediately after Lasik. Punctal plugs help keep the eyes hydrated by blocking drainage of tears through the nasolacrimal duct into the sinus. While this may provide extra tears for the eyes, it reduces the moisture in the sinus and can cause irritation. See Lasik Punctal Plugs.

These are all issues that should be evaluated by your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Sunglasses and eye pain

Postby dede » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:22 am

Thank you for the advice. This website has been very helpful.

One thing I noticed today while I was out and about is that when I took my sunglass off, I would get a pain in my eyes and I would get that feeling of "cross-eyedness" eventhough my eyes were not crossed. However, when I put my sunglasses back on, the feeling would go away. Is it possible that the sinus pain is related to light sensitivity rather than dry eye?
dede

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:25 am

Photosensitivity is when normal light causes pain. Yes, this may be related. Be sure to talk with your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby dede » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:02 am

I have noticed that my eyes "smart" or get a pinching sensation when I am outdoors and under store florescent lighting but not undernatural indoor lighting conditions.

My flap was used using intralase and I have read that photosensitivity is a side effect and was wondering if that was the source of the eye pain and headaches.

I took a migraine pill this morning and the major headache pain seems to have subsided but still have an intermittent cross-eyed sensation when I don't wear my sunglasses.
dede

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:06 am

Transient Light Sensitivity (TLS) is a relatively rare - but known - complication related to All-Laser Lasik with a femtosecond laser created flap. Treatment is commonly steroid eye drops, but simply allowing healing to work may be recommended.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It