1.5 weeks after LASEK, and my eye still pretty much stinks

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

1.5 weeks after LASEK, and my eye still pretty much stinks

Postby charles.robinson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:36 pm

Had LASEK done on my left eye on June 26... I must say I was not prepared for the level of discomfort!

To add to my entertainment, the right eye was/is scheduled for July 10th (with the thought/promise/suggestion that my left eye would be fine after two weeks), but my vision in the left eye has only just cleared up enough that I can even tell the difference when my old glasses are put in front of it . Not too stellar!

The pain is gone, thank goodness. The "bandage contact" came out at the 1-week mark (not the "2 to 4 days" that so many informational websites allude to) but the vision in this eye is as blurry as can be.

I know it's all about giving the epithelium/cornea time to heal... but at this rate I'm going to have to put off eyeball #2 to sometime in August! I have too many things going on in the next month to be blind during them.

Poo... I guess I just need a comforting word. How long do I get to wait before I should be concerned? Is there any way, with this healing epithelial layer still gumming up my vision, to tell if the correction that was applied was in fact the right one and that I'm on the road to great vision?

I had hoped that this surgery would be so revelatory that it would be a slam-dunk to convince my twin of its advantages... but so far it has been "no sale" for sure.

-Charles
charles.robinson

Re: 1.5 weeks after LASEK, and my eye still pretty much stin

Postby JPD » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:47 pm

Having bad vision 1.5 weeks after a surface ablation is completely normal. Your doctor had to of told you that before hand. The only thing that would be abnormal is if you had good vision right now. I'n about 3-4 weeks you'll be fine.

You'll be able to prove to your twin that it's a superior procedure, but you have to wait about three months before you can do so.
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:53 pm

Your vision recovery after LASEK is not all that unusual. Report your problems to your surgeon, but it appears that you need more healing time.

It makes perfect sense to postpone the second eye until the LASEK eye has recovered and provides reasonably good vision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby charles.robinson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:47 pm

Thanks for the replies, both of you. I think that is all I really needed to hear - that what's happening is 100% normal.

I know I've read a million threads on here from other people who felt the same way after the procedure, but even though I'm "common, garden-variety" disappointed right now, it feels unique enough to me that it's nice to have my own "what the heck?" thread with your comforting responses.

I'll just (attempt to) chill out!

-Charles
charles.robinson

Postby charles.robinson » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:53 pm

Latest checkup (today) has me at a slightly-blurry (double-vision) 20/30, which is good progress considering that my one-week checkup was 20/200!

I have a small layer of old epithelium that needs to "slough off" which is causing a slight double-image. Can't wait for it to leave. The doctor was nice enough to give me his number and said "call me on Monday afternoon before your Tuesday procedure and let me know if you think you're ready."

Basically he's giving me all the time I need to decide if I'm ready for eyeball #2, which is nice. Hopefully I'll be far enough along that I'll be OK to go by next Tuesday (the two-week mark for eye #1). Fingers crossed!

-Charles
charles.robinson

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:01 pm

Let us know of your progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby charles.robinson » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:03 pm

Well, nuts. My right-eye surgery is scheduled for tomorrow and at this rate I'm going to have to cancel it. I've gone all weekend without my glasses to "adjust to the feel" of relying more on my left eye to see well... but when I shut my right eye I lose a LOT of detail (still have a ghost image/double-vision thing going on) that I think would make my job in computers (looking at a screen all day) pretty difficult.

I wondered for a while if it might be helped by getting reading glasses - having been nearsighted all my life I thought that maybe my corrected vision was impairing the ability read nearby items (like computer screens) but... a quick visit to the local Walgreen's and fiddling around with various strengths of reading glasses showed me that far-sightedness is not really the problem. It's just that my vision is not clear enough yet.

(Oh, it is better if I squint though. Maybe I can just do THAT for a few weeks and look like a pirate. Aaar!)

Sigh. If I postpone the 2nd eye, I won't have time to get it done until sometime in mid-August. Crud.

-Charles
charles.robinson

Postby lvziggy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:19 pm

Hi Charles. I had PRK done in March. I too fretted about when to get my second eye done since I am very impatient and didn't want to wait very long. I scheduled my second surgery 2 weeks after the first one, but the day before my second surgery I was only seeing 20/50 out of my first eye so I wanted to reschedule for the following week. Well, the dr. was out the following week, so it was either the 2nd week or wait until the 4th week after my first eye was done. Like I said I'm very impatient so I went for it on the 2 week mark. My surgery was on a Thursday so I took Friday off and had the weekend off, and by the time Monday rolled around I could actually see well enough to manage at work. I also work on a computer all day. My vision wasn't the best, but like I said, I could manage. At least at that point I knew it was all behind me and all I needed to worry about was healing. I ended up being glad I got it done as quickly as I did.

Hope that helps. Good luck tomorrow if you decide to have it done.

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby charles.robinson » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:41 pm

While the idea of being almost functionally blind concerns me, I can see the logic of what you are saying. I don't want to be too hasty, but I also don't want to draw this out into a multi-month ordeal!

The doctor told me that I had until right up to the moment of my surgery to bail if it wasn't going to work out. "We've got your timeslot scheduled, we're not going to give it away - but we're not going to do it if you are not ready"

So.... I'll just hang in there and decide in the morning, I guess! Thanks for the quick reply.

-Charles
charles.robinson

Postby ksoldan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:29 pm

HI there
I had PRK on both eyes on the same day the last week of April. My Dr. was wonderful and the staff had told me all the difficulties I would experience. I was disappointed @ my one month check that I wasn't 20/20 but was told to hang on and continue with the drops as prescribed. I can say now that over the course of the last 2-3 weeks, my vision is excellent, every bit as good as with contacts, maybe even better. I'm so pleased with my results. As far as getting the second eye done, you're brave to go back! I was glad I only had to go in one time, but I'd say get it done asap. That way you can get to healing and back to normal sooner than later. But, only you know what will work for you and what plans you already have on your calendar that may be affected.
Best of luck to you
K
ksoldan

Postby charles.robinson » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:31 am

2nd eye done, and it is nowhere NEAR the anount of pain as with eye#1.

Here I am, 10 hours post-procedure, and I'm sitting up and able to use the laptop (Last time I was in bed, under painkillers, from 3pm to 7am the next day).

At this rate I'll be able to go to work in the morning, which is a bit of a surprise! Of course, the VISION in my right eye is no good - but that's to be expected.

I have my fingers crossed for the morning. Seems like #2 will not be as much of an ordeal as #1. Thank goodness!

-Charles
charles.robinson

Postby charles.robinson » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:48 pm

After this morning's followup:

Eyeball #1 (left) shows 20/20 *if* I shut my eyelids down just enough to cover the dead layer of epithelium that needs to slough off - "any day now".

Eyeball #2 (day after surgery) already shows 20/60 which is WAY better than the progress from my left eye (took a week to hit 20/300). And it doesn't hurt at all.

I am very hopeful of fairly-rapid progress at this point.

-Charles
charles.robinson

Postby lvziggy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:06 pm

Charles, glad to hear things are going well. For me, the most painful day after my surgery was day 3, probably because by then I was trying not to use the numbing drops anymore. I just used some prescription naprosin I had rather than the lortab my dr. prescribed and I was fine. Also, don't be surprised if your vision gets worse and then better again. That happended with me as well.

Good luck with the remainder of your healing time!

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby charles.robinson » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:30 pm

I (or at least my left eye) had a very "Flowers for Algernon" kind of moment this weekend. I was out Sunday and didn't have sunglasses with me...the pupil in my left eye contracted so much that the layer of epithelium that is still causing a slight double-vision in my left eye was no longer in my line of sight - I could see clear as a bell!

Of course, the bright sunlight was kind of killing me, but I didn't mind so much.

Now that I'm back in the office and it's darker, I'm back to a slight blur in the left eye - but hopefully one of these days it'll heal up. LASEK is a pain for that - you just don't know when the old epithelial layer will completely go away and just leave the new growth there.

The bandage contact on my right eye comes off this afternoon as well. here's hoping my "dominant eye" makes a quick catch-up to my left. I have a huge holiday/party/festival coming up on the 1st of August and it would be nice to actually see all my friends. :-)

-Charles
charles.robinson

6 weeks post-LASEK, 1st eye is 20/20, 2nd is 20/25

Postby charles.robinson » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:39 pm

It's been 6 weeks since eye #1, and now I'm at 20/20 with the left (first) eye. They also had me stare into that funky device that measures what correction is needed (little image of a hot-air balloon) and it came back "no correction".

Still a slight astigmatism in the 2nd eye, done two weeks later, but it's currently at 20/25 which could be worse.

So - took a bit longer than I thought it would, but the results right now are great!

-Charles
charles.robinson

Next

Return to Just Had It