1.5 weeks after LASEK, and my eye still pretty much stinks

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Re: 6 weeks post-LASEK, 1st eye is 20/20, 2nd is 20/25

Postby JPD » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:40 am

charles.robinson wrote:It's been 6 weeks since eye #1, and now I'm at 20/20 with the left (first) eye. They also had me stare into that funky device that measures what correction is needed (little image of a hot-air balloon) and it came back "no correction".

Still a slight astigmatism in the 2nd eye, done two weeks later, but it's currently at 20/25 which could be worse.

So - took a bit longer than I thought it would, but the results right now are great!

-Charles

In your good eye, do you have any dryness or night vision problems?
JPD

Postby charles.robinson » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:15 pm

JPD wrote:In your good eye, do you have any dryness or night vision problems?

None at all. Part of the beauty of LASEK vs. LASIK is that when all is done healing, there is no flap, nothing out of whack. It is "difficult to detect" (but not impossible) that the eyes have been operated on at all. My eyes feel and work perfectly normally, without any of the dryness or halos that I've read about on here (thank goodness!).

Seems you sacrifice a few initial weeks of discomfort (sometimes QUITE uncomfortable) for what is actually a shorter recovery period, in a way.

-Charles
charles.robinson

Postby JPD » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:11 am

charles.robinson wrote:Part of the beauty of LASEK vs. LASIK is that when all is done healing, there is no flap, nothing out of whack.

When fully healed after Lasik, nothing is out of whack either.

charles.robinson wrote:None at all. My eyes feel and work perfectly normally, without any of the dryness

So you don't use any artificial tears at all?

charles.robinson wrote:My eyes feel and work perfectly normally, without any of the dryness or halos that I've read about on here (thank goodness!).

Having the flap cut does cause dryness, but there is no evidence anywhere which indicates the Lasik flap causes halos. So that's just a coincidence.

charles.robinson wrote:My eyes feel and work perfectly normally, without any of the dryness or halos that I've read about on here.

That's also what the vast majority of Lasik patients report. So again, a coincidence for the most part.

charles.robinson wrote:Seems you sacrifice a few initial weeks of discomfort for what is actually a shorter recovery period, in a way.

In many cases, yes that is the truth. But again, for the majority it isn't so.
JPD

Postby charles.robinson » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:45 pm

JPD wrote:

Not anymore.
charles.robinson

Postby JPD » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:37 am

charles.robinson wrote:
JPD wrote:

Not anymore.

I'm glad to hear that. That really is the biggest advantage of the surface ablation technique.
JPD

Shouda, couda ,wouda, hindsight is 20/60

Postby Mr.UnPerfect » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:13 am

Well, JPD I read on one of your posts that if you could do it over you would have done PRK or LASEK, If I could do it again maybe I would have done it too. When our flaps fall off in a couple of years, we are gonna have to call Charles to guide us around... He He He......
Mr.UnPerfect

Re: Shouda, couda ,wouda, hindsight is 20/60

Postby JPD » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:12 am

Mr.UnPerfect wrote:Well, JPD I read on one of your posts that if you could do it over you would have done PRK or LASEK

That is true. Because both ARE better procedures in my opinion. But that doesn't mean Lasik is a bad procedure. Studies show surface ablations to only be slightly better then Lasik long term.

Mr.UnPerfect wrote:When our flaps fall off in a couple of years

I hope that's meant as a joke. Even if it is, it's not funny.
JPD

Of course I am kidding........

Postby Mr.UnPerfect » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:13 am

I spent the last couple of hours reading articles from Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today.......after reading alot of the articles with Refractive surgery, I feel more educated but impressed with how the doctors handle the problems. Lots of good stories and quite a few bad ones. As for the flaps I wish I could do it over. too late now. If it was good enough for the Tiger I guess it's good enough for me..
Mr.UnPerfect

Postby rjr3790 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Charles,

When you were at 1.5-2 weeks post-op, did your vision gradually improve each day or did it feel like it stayed the same for a while and it all of a sudden got better?

I am 10 days out right now and my vision has been the same for the past 3-4 days. Every morning, i would wake up with near perfect vision but it would gradually deteriorate as the day went on and i am surprised because i thought it would be improving little by little each day but so far it hasn't. It basically stalled.

Did it happen to you or should i be concerned?
rjr3790

Postby charles.robinson » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:27 pm

rjr3790 wrote:Charles,

When you were at 1.5-2 weeks post-op, did your vision gradually improve each day or did it feel like it stayed the same for a while and it all of a sudden got better?

My progress at the 1.5-2 week mark was slow, slow, slow with no sudden changes. It would be better in the morning and a little less precise as the day would wear on.

It was explained to me that as the new epithelial cells grow in from the outside of the treatment area, they push the "old" cells into a sort of stack in the middle of the eye (right in the line of sight!) and it just takes a while for those cells to finally go away.

So... each time I went back I was told that I still had some cells in the way - although the shape of the state he would use to describe the area of old cells was always different ("it looks like Florida, New Jersey, Maine...."). Only when ALL of the old cells were finally gone did my left (first) eye look great - but it was very gradual.

I knew I was getting close when I could tell that my vision was in focus properly for the distance - but there was a blurring/smearing (astigmatism) caused by the old cells sitting in the way of my line of vision. Does that make sense?

My left eye is 100% clear and 20/20 (had it done June 26). My RIGHT eye (had it done July 10) is almost almost almost there - at last check a couple weeks ago the right eye was 20/30. I expect by my next checkup (9/12, at the two-month mark) I'll probably be 100% on the right eye as well.

So - nothing comes quickly. As I've stated over and over in other messages on this forum, you've got to "hang in there" and be patient. Seems like, for me, 8 weeks is the magic timing. I'll bet you weren't told that it would take that long, were you? I know I wasn't. Or maybe I was TOLD but didn't HEAR it!

-Charles
charles.robinson

Postby rjr3790 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:28 am

Thanks Charles, that's what i needed to hear

A few things concern me though ..

One, i am a full-time student and i start classes on the 4th of September. That means i will need my vision to be able to read and do homework and see in class.

The other thing is, my doctor said the recovery period is 7-14 days. I specifically asked him if my VISION was going to be crystal clear during that time period and he said yes. Well, i am 11 days post-op and it doesn't look like it is going to be ready by next week unless i have a miracle.
rjr3790

Postby TestType » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:26 pm

I feel for you rjr3790. I'm a full-time student too and I have to say I have been unable to concentrate in school or while reading, it has completely interrupted my studying. I had LASIK 3 weeks ago and really regret doing it after finding out about all the possible complications my doctor made sure to never bring to my attention. All the worrying is also causing me to care less and less about anything else.

I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful and try not to think about this so much, but it's very hard when your perception is distorted and you're feeling constant eye strain and discomfort.
TestType

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:22 pm

rjr3790 wrote:The other thing is, my doctor said the recovery period is 7-14 days. I specifically asked him if my VISION was going to be crystal clear during that time period and he said yes.

The timing of vision recovery after a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik is much less predictable than Lasik, because the disrupted epithelium needs to regenerate. At one to two weeks postop you should have what I call "functional fuzzy" vision, however the crisp vision you seek will likely arrive over the follwing several weeks as the epithelium thickens and smooths.

Any dry eye or edema problems can contribute to poor vision quality and may require management or treatment.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:24 pm

TestType wrote:I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful and try not to think about this so much, but it's very hard when your perception is distorted and you're feeling constant eye strain and discomfort.

It is hard to stay positive when you didn't get what you expected, but it seems likely that there are legitimate reasons to be positive about your final outcome. Has your doctor said anything new about the reason your vision has not improved more?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Just Had It