5 days post Lasik and vision deteriorating

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

5 days post Lasik and vision deteriorating

Postby shazza » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:43 pm

I had Custom Lasik 5 days ago, and about 2 days ago the vision in my left eye has been degenerating. I was -5.75 pre surgery and it's not gotten to that point, but still my vision starts to blur about 6 feet in front of me. My right eye feels like it's fine, although when I am indoors with no natural lighting, I have a hard time seeing with either eye; it takes a while for my eyes to focus on anything in fluorescent lighting. Is this normal? I've been using the lubricating drops like crazy and it's not really helping.
shazza

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:58 pm

The poor distance vision may be due to edema (inflammation) of the cornea. This can create myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision. Dry eyes can exacerbate these problems, but artificial tears is not the only answer and may not even be the correct answer. Please read our article on dry eye treatment.

You need to report these problems to your doctor, but don't be surprised of he says you need more healing time.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby shazza » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:01 pm

Can this type of myopia resulting from dryness improve?
shazza

Hi Shazza

Postby bathory313 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:20 pm

I had LASIK two weeks ago, and I was having the same problem just about the same time (7 days) you did. My problem? DRY EYE. The lubricating drops were not enough! My doc gave me Refresh PM; which is basically mineral oil and vaseline. It is for nighttime use; as it makes your eyes very blurry. Consult your doctor, but I also got a humidifier for my bedroom; and it also helped a great deal! Further.........I switched to drops called "Similisan"...........but again, ASK YOUR DOC. They may not be right for you. I still use the lubricating drops, but when I need a 'good shot', I use the Similisan drops.

My vision went from 20/15 to 20/40 and 20/50; I was pretty much freaking out. But resolving the dry eye has taken my vision back to crisp and clear. I didn't realize I was even having dry eye symptoms; on my 1-week follow up the doc said, "your eyes are like the Sahara!" So I began doing all the above and really DROWNING my eyes in the drops.

As the gentleman said, you probably also need more healing time. It can take up to 3 months or better for your eyes to finally 'settle down'. Realize too, that your vision can fluctuate from one day to the next and even in the same day; mine has been doing that, but at two weeks it has settled down some.

Well, I hope I have relaxed you a bit; and please ask your doc about "heavier" drops and also the humidifier.

Oh! Here's something I found out, too.........riding in a car, even WALKING can dry out my eyes. So I'm always equipped with the sunglasses that have the wide sides; it helps to block air flowing over my eyes so much.
bathory313

Return to Just Had It