Adjusting to Monovision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Adjusting to Monovision

Postby dede » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:19 am

I had Lasik with monovision and I have noticed that I have been having eyestrain when looking at the computer and need to rest my eyes a lot.

How long does it take to get used to the monovision. I had monovision contacts for 6 months and do not recall having such a strong reaction (although the discrepency between the two eyes was a little less)?

The feeling I get is like I am crossing my eyes.
dede

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:44 am

It may be that what you have received in monovision Lasik is different enough from your monvision with contacts that you are not yet able to cope. Hopefully you will be able soon.

Here is a trick you may want to try for monovision when you need to look at something near for a long time, such as a computer screen.

Go to the drug store and find the reading glasses display. Find a frame style that you like, and which is also easy to disassemble. The ones that use screws to tighten the frame around the lens seem to be best for this purpose.

Get about the right distance away from the reading test that the little stands have, or find something nearby that has about the right sized type to mimic your computer. A cereal box is great for this.

Now that you have your cereal box and you are by the reading glasses and you have picked the style you like, try different powers of reading glasses with your fully corrected eye (close the other one) until you get a power that works well to see the cereal box about the same distance you would be from your computer.

Now try the different powers for your undercorrected eye until you find what works. You will probably end up with one lens that is about 1.00 diopter more powerful for your fully corrected eye than the lens for your undercorrected eye. Maybe more, maybe less.

So now you will have one set of glasses for your right eye and one set of glasses for your left eye. Buy them both. Purchase also one of those little screwdrivers for glasses.

Take your purchases home, disassemble both sets of reading glasses (be sure to mark which power is which on the lenses). Use one frame and reassemble with the best lens for the left eye in the left and best lens for the right eye in the right. You now have a set of custom fitted reading glasses that accommodate your monovision and give the best balanced near vision vision for extended use.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It