1 week post-op, undercorrection question???

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

1 week post-op, undercorrection question???

Postby vk217 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:39 pm

hi, i got lasik surgery a little over one week ago. nearsighted with slight astigmatism, -4.25 and -4.50. i'm 21 years-old, have had glasses for 11 years now.

my vision over the past week since the surgery has been pretty blurry--it feels like i'm wearing my old prescription glasses and in even slightly dim lighting it's been pretty frustrating. night vision is horrible. i know it's only been a week, but i was starting to wonder if they undercorrected my eyes and i've been worried that i'd be one of those few who'd eventually need enhancement surgery.

i saw my doctor today for my one-week post-op appointment and she said i'm seeing 20/40 in both eyes(which sounds great, but again it's SIGNIFICANTLY blurry and faaarrr from crisp and clear).

however when she was going over my results with me, she told me that the blurriness i'm experiencing is from the nearsightedness they didn't correct? i'm really confused by this. she said they corrected -3.75 and -3.50... in other words -.50 and -1.00 were left uncorrected.. not by mistake, but intentionally. she said something about how they need to see how my vision stabilizes but that things should become more clear over the next couple months, but i still don't understand WHY -.50/-1.00 were left uncorrected ON PURPOSE??? why wouldn't they correct my full prescription?!

i really hope someone can help explain this to me--i know it's still early in the healing process and that blurry vision is normal, but i don't understand why they left some nearsightedness uncorrected. please help!!!
Last edited by vk217 on Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
vk217

Postby shazza » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:41 pm

I'm going through something pretty similar myself -- had lasik just over a week ago, 23 years old, -5.0 and -5.75, and my right eye has been significantly blurry since I had the surgery (i'm at 20/50). my vision is also much worse in dim lighting as well. i had my one week appointment and was told that there was a possibility that i was undercorrected in that one eye -- however, that if that is the case it was just an accident, because it's impossible to tell if or how much an eye will regress after surgery. deliberately undercorrecting, especially for someone your age who really isn't at risk of needing reading glasses any time in the near future, doesn't make any sense at all.
shazza

Postby slee104611 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:34 am

What you are going through is perfectly normal. I undercorrected and ended up needing an enhancement in 1 eye. The 1st time, my night vision was non-existent for 2 weeks and one night it just kicked in. Also, the blurriness was due to dry eye and inflammation but the vision started to clear up after 2 weeks. It took about 2/3 months for it to really get over the dry eye. At that time, I was still blurry in one eye and we had to correct for .75 astig and .5 nearsightedness. This time, my night vision was fine but I was blurry for the 1st 2 weeks. It's started to really clear up though so be patient. You are not alone :)
slee104611

Postby vk217 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:21 am

slee104611 wrote:What you are going through is perfectly normal. I undercorrected and ended up needing an enhancement in 1 eye. The 1st time, my night vision was non-existent for 2 weeks and one night it just kicked in. Also, the blurriness was due to dry eye and inflammation but the vision started to clear up after 2 weeks. It took about 2/3 months for it to really get over the dry eye. At that time, I was still blurry in one eye and we had to correct for .75 astig and .5 nearsightedness. This time, my night vision was fine but I was blurry for the 1st 2 weeks. It's started to really clear up though so be patient. You are not alone :)

thanks for the reassurance. quick question though: were you undercorrected by accident or did they undercorrect intentionally? it'd be one thing if they undercorrected my eyes by mistake, but i'm just trying to figure out why they did so deliberately.

also, did you go in for the enhancement at 3 months? was it easier the 2nd time around?
vk217

"undercorrection problems" do get better

Postby waterhous » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:38 pm

I had Lasik about 10 days ago and for the first 8 days I had trouble with blurriness, dryness and all of a sudden it's cleared up a lot. Just had another post-op exam and the vision is about 20/20 in each eye. Still have some blurriness after blinking at times but I understand all of it gets better oin the next 6 months.
waterhous

Postby slee104611 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:17 pm

I chose to undercorrect deliberately. I'm 45 and work in an office that requires reading REALLY small print so I actually brought in a copy of an actual report and told the Dr. "make me read this REALLY REALLY well - and forget the distance" Also I live in NYC so I don't drive and you kind of know where everything is and never really have to look farther than a block or across the street. If I didn't under-correct, I would be wearing reading glasses 10 hours a day so it just didn't seem right for me. I tried that monovision thing using contacts and I found that experience to be optically schizophrenic so it was a no-brainer for me to correct for reading and let the distance go. We were shooting for 20/20 on the reading chart and 20/40 on the distance. I'll know next week where I land but it's looking good.

The enhancement was easier in that I knew what to expect, it was only one eye, and I was really looking forward to the Valium. In terms of healing, it's the same - it's all about the flap. What made the enhancement more difficult for me was the 1st time I was pretty cavalier because I knew I would get another chance but going in for the enhancement my Dr. said "this is it - you get whatever you get because we can't go in a third time." Knowing that put a lot of stress on me and I sort of freaked a bit when I was still blurry 3 days after surgery.

It was determined at 4 months that I would probably need an enhancement but they wanted to wait until 6 months because it was theoretically possible for my vision to still improve and they wanted to be absolutely sure that I was stable.

The only advise I can give you is be patient because frankly, you have no choice - eyes are like cats: they are going to do what they are going to do when and if they feel like it, not based on what you want or expect. If it turns out that you need or want an enhancement, worrying about it now will not reduce your chances of avoiding it; I know because it didn't work for me.

Good luck and keep us posted.
slee104611

Re: 1 week post-op, undercorrection question???

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:28 pm

vk217 wrote:she said something about how they need to see how my vision stabilizes but that things should become more clear over the next couple months, but i still don't understand WHY -.50/-1.00 were left uncorrected ON PURPOSE???

It is a bit odd that your surgeon would not fully correct your moderate myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision, however I suspect that the doctor has found that previous patients with your combination of myopia and astigmatism tend to over-correct. The goal may be plano (no refractive error), but the target may have been undercorrection. I think you need a more detailed explanation from your doctor.

It is still possible that after your healing settles down you will be fully corrected. It is also possible that at 3-6 months postop they will recommend enhancement surgery to "fine tune" the correction.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby vk217 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:14 pm

thanks glen(and everyone else!). i'll be going in for my one month post-op checkup in a couple of weeks and i'll keep this thread updated!
vk217

Return to Just Had It