Lasik done about 3 months ago

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik done about 3 months ago

Postby tinam » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:47 pm

I had lasik done about three months ago and this past Friday I had recorrective surgery on my left eye from overcorrection. I asked what percentage it was for overcorrection and he said an extremely low percentage like 6%, it said it was very rare. What are the chances of this happening? Also, now after my recorrection in my left eye, I still see really blurry, so I went to my follow-up appintment yesterday and they said that it was normal after going from an overcorrection to fix it back to normal, but in a month if it doesn't correct itself I may need another surgery! Does this sound normal??
I looked into this place alot before having it done and I heard it is a very good place. Why am I having so many problems? I have two kids, a almost one year old and a three year old. It's hard going through a day not being able to see well and getting headaches on top of that. He said that's normal (headaches), because your eyes are trying to adjust. I just need some advice or comfort telling me this is a normal thing- Thanks!
tinam
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: ohio

Re: Lasik done about 3 months ago

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:26 pm

tinam wrote:I had lasik done about three months ago and this past Friday I had recorrective surgery on my left eye from overcorrection. I asked what percentage it was for overcorrection and he said an extremely low percentage like 6%, it said it was very rare.


I suspect that the 6% rate is of all enhancement surgery at this facility, not just enhancment surgery due to overcorrection.

tinam wrote:Also, now after my recorrection in my left eye, I still see really blurry, so I went to my follow-up appintment yesterday and they said that it was normal after going from an overcorrection to fix it back to normal, but in a month if it doesn't correct itself I may need another surgery! Does this sound normal??


Much depends upon your original refractive error and the cause of the overcorrection. The higher the correction, the more likely you would experience a regression of effect. Many surgeons will deliberately overcorrect the patient to resolve expected regression. As an example; you start highly myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted), are overcorrected into hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted), and regression brings you back to plano (no refractive error).

While planned overcorrection is a commonly successful technique, it is impossible to know exactly how a cornea will react to surgery. Some corneas remove much more tissue with each pulse of the laser and this can contribute to overcorrection. Some respond less to the laser energy and are undercorrected.

tinam wrote:I looked into this place alot before having it done and I heard it is a very good place. Why am I having so many problems?


Lasik is surgery and there is no such thing as a perfect surgery, surgeon, or even patient. Even the very best surgeons have unexpected outcomes. Although the percentage of people with Lasik complications is relatively small, there will always be some who have problems.

tinam wrote:He said that's normal (headaches), because your eyes are trying to adjust.


This is especially true when overcorrected. You may want to read about Lasik eye strain that occurs during the healing period.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 6:43 am
Location: California


Return to Just Had It

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron