custom lasik and fluorescent lights

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

custom lasik and fluorescent lights

Postby shazza » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:34 pm

I had custom lasik a couple of weeks ago, and am having the typical problems (fluctuating vision, dry eye, etc.). However one thing that has been pretty steady is that my vision indoors in fluorescent light is EXTREMELY fuzzy, even on good days when I can see really well outdoors. Is this something that might eventually go away or do I just have to get used to not being able to see in shopping malls or supermarkets? Please help :(
shazza

Postby charles.robinson » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:44 pm

From an earlier thread (found with Google!):

"The problem with loss of contrast in fluorescent lights is not exactly common, but is a known problem. It appears to occur when the Lasik flap has not fully adhered to the underlying cornea. There is enough light disruption at this interface that when the light source is fluorescent, vision is unclear. Fluorescent lights emit a very different wavelength than incandescent or natural light."

(Thanks Glenn)

I'll add to that a bit by saying that most lighting covers a broad spectrum of colors from red to blue. Fluorescent lights, on the other hand, emit light at a few very specific bands on the spectrum, so it's easier for there to be interference/fuzziness when there are defects in the field of vision.

-Charles
charles.robinson

Postby DryEye » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:12 pm

I notice differences with this since post lasik and never before.
There needs to be better answers for all those considering this and those who have done this and have the problem.
The lasers were made by someone and the flap was created by someone - we aren't the ones who did either one.
DryEye

Postby Borderline » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:37 pm

Is this a complication that lasts permenantly, or does it go away when the healing process is over? I'm nervouse about hearing this, i'm a first grade teacher and always have to deal with this sort of lighting. I'm going in for surgery tomorrow afternoon. I will discuss this with my surgeon. Thanks for the post!
Borderline

Postby DryEye » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:53 am

Not everyone has it from what i have read - Glenn would know better
If you haven't done the surgery yet, I highly recommend that you take your time with this. If your contacts and glasses don't bother you and you see great with them then ask yourself why you want to do it? The media and industry does a great job of selling it, but I feel you get those odds with the TOP surgeons. If after careful research and consideration you decide to do this only do it with one of the TOP surgeons even if that means travelling to another state.
You've found the right site to help you figure this stuff out.
Great that you found it before doing it.
I wish I had.
DryEye

I know watcha talkin about

Postby Mr.UnPerfect » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:20 am

First off. I am 4 months post lasik. The first couple of months in a grocery store were rich colors and blurry. Near vision 1-10 feet was good but looking down the isle or across the store was difficult. Now it has improved about 80%. The funny thing that has puzzled me was that I have fluorescent lights in my house and I can stare right at them and no problem. No halos , star bursts or nothing. Yes there is something odd about fluorescent light rays. So there, yes I have some problem but am seeing improvement as time goes. Bob

" Life in the Fast Lane Really Make You Lose Your Mind" The EAGLES
Mr.UnPerfect

Postby bathory313 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:04 am

What I notice with flourescent lights (and not ALL of them) is that sometimes it appears that the light is 'pulsating' is the best way I can describe it. I'm nearly 30-days post-op; but this isn't really bothersome.

What I do notice is that those orange/pink-hued street lights have a large halo around them. Car tail-lights aren't bad at all, but headlights have a large starburst effect. Again, it's not bothersome enough for me not to drive at night.
bathory313

Postby shazza » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:55 pm

if i could go back in time, i absolutely would not have had this surgery. i wasn't a huge fan of my contacts but my vision was great in them, and even though i have hopes that my eyes will improve through the healing process, i really don't think that it was worth the stress i'm going through now freaking out about it every hour of the day. i walk around streets opening one eye and then the other, stopping to put in eyedrops, spending a fortune on different type of eyedrops and gels. I really, really wish I hadn't had this surgery.
shazza

Postby bathory313 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:15 am

It's been a few days now, Shazza........any improvement? Still regretting your decision?
bathory313

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:33 am

shazza wrote: i walk around streets opening one eye and then the other

Ah yes, the "Lasik Salute". It is common with those who have a slower than expected recovery.

Has the doctor found anything that is unusual, or are you just going through a delayed healing process? The interim can be stressful, but hopefully all will resolve with healing.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby shazza » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:02 pm

no change so far.. vision inside is still terrible and not noticeably improving or changing. i'm still using eyedrops all the time. my vision outside, which used to be the only bright spot in my lasik experience because my left eye was so good, is now fluctuating even more in both eyes. my right eye is still shortsighted, and has not improved since the surgery. i have my one month appointment coming up next week.
shazza

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:26 pm

It is still very early in the process. I know it is easier said than done, but try to be patient.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tawny » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:35 pm

Hang in there, I had the exact same could not see very well, in Walmart, Sobey's etc with the lighting and work was the worst an huge office building with flourescent lights all the way down the hallway, and outside my vision was crystal clear but it did improve. I am at 3 months now and it is better not 100 % yet but better. So hang in there.
tawny

Postby golfingirl » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:50 am

I'm only two weeks post lasik and have been suffering from dry eye. That in combo with the fluorescent light blurriness is near intolerable at work... hospital.

I work 12 hours shifts and feel like with each day I 'have to' work, I step 2 days back in healing. It's a very busy environmant filled with A/C, fluorescent lights, monitors etc with no time to baby myself. It's a good day if I can take a 30 min lunch break.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this less than ideal environment?
golfingirl

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:16 am

Preservative-free artificial tears come in single use vials you can carry in a pocket and are quick to use. Use these throughout the day. The fluorescent light problems do tend to resolve with healing, but can be exacerbated by dry eyes and a low humidity air conditioned environment. If you don't properly manage your Lasik recovery, you can expect it to be delayed.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It