Debris under flap

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Debris under flap

Postby Fran » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:53 pm

Hi again,

I just went for my one month check up. My optomitrist said there is some debris under the flap of my right eye but he was not concerned about it. I asked him if it was going to go away and he said no but that he will continue to monitor it monthly to make sure it doesn`t become infected or that the cells grow. What exactly is this debris and is this something that will affect my vision?

And I`m happy to report that my eyesight has improved greatly since my one week post-op check up. My eyes feel great!! :) I only put lubricating drops in in the morning and before bed.

Thanks in advance for the response.

Fran
Fran

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:28 am

There is a difference between "debris" and "cells".

Cells under the flap would be epithelial ingrowth. The pliable outermost layer of the cornea is the epithelium. During surgery it is possible that some viable epithelial cells can get underneath the Lasik flap. Often they die and are not a problem, but if they divide and multiply they may need to be removed. The surgeon would numb your eye, lift the flap, clean out the cells, and reposition the flap.

It is something that needs to be monitored and can be a problem if they gorw and are left unchecked, but normally epithelial ingrowth is not a major problem.

Debris is just that, stuff that got under the flap. If it is not disrupting your vision quality it will probably just be allowed to remain. Again, your doctor can monitor your situation.

If you have any sudden and dramatic change in vision, give your doctor a call straight away.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It