Blurriness from LASIK on Friday the 13th

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Blurriness from LASIK on Friday the 13th

Postby WeepingWest » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:23 pm

I had Lasik on July 13 2007 (yes Friday the 13th). I have experienced blurred vision from the minute I left the office. He talked me into undercorrection of one eye due to my age of 40. My week check up he basically brushed me off and scheduled the next visit for 08/22, I dont even know what my vision is yet because he hasnt tested it and given any # to me. Just looked in my eyes (in my opinion) to be sure there was no major problems.
I have a few days left of drops and I am hoping it will get better after that. From what I have read here (thankful this site is here for those of us having issues) the blurriness could be any number of things and to be patient.
I dont know what to ask or what my concerns should be, I just know this is very scary and too bad you have to wish time away and hope its just healing time.
I see no difference in the blurriness from one eye to the other. It is difficult to work and drive and the worst part is doc never made me feel like it would be ok and time will tell.
WeepingWest

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:43 am

If your vision is blurry at all distances and you can't find any distance (reading, shopping, landscape) where your vision is good, then it may be a healing issue or you may have actually been overcorrected into hyperopia. The doctor may have deliberately planned Lasik overcorrection to deal with probably Lasik regression of effect. If you are hyperopic and presbyopic (need reading glasses after around age 40), then vision quality would likely not be very good.

Keeping one eye myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) to help reduce the need for reading glasses is a good idea, but this monovision effect really should be tried with contact lenses for several weeks to know if the patient will tolorate the effect. Read the linked article for details.

Yes, the meds may be causing or exacerbating the cause of the blurry vision, and Lasik induced temporary dry eye is a usual suspect this early in your healing.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Monovision

Postby WeepingWest » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:45 pm

I know its early but my first impression of this stinks. I can see fine if I cover one eye now. Like it says they should fit you on contacts first to see if you tolerate it. Bad choice for docs who dont. Why would they want to retreat you for something that should be tested first w/contacts especially since they CAN !
WeepingWest

Postby JPD » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:44 pm

LasikExpert wrote:Keeping one eye myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) to help reduce the need for reading glasses is a good idea, but this monovision effect really should be tried with contact lenses for several weeks to know if the patient will tolorate the effect. Read the linked article for details.

Glenn, why would a doctor do that without first going over it with the patient? Why do doctors think they can give someone monovision without their consent? Why isn't this malpractice?
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:27 pm

I have no doubt that the patient knew monovision correction was the target, so consent is probably not the issue (unless monovision was an accidental result).

You would need to ask each doctor why s/he does not put a patient into monovision contact lenses for several weeks prior to lasering it into their eyes.

I suppose they can rationalize that if the patient does not like monovision Lasik they can do enhancement surgery to resolve the residual myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision in the undercorrected eye, but with 1/3rd of people who try monovision in contacts not liking it and two surgeries being more risk than one, it seems a poor choice to me.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby WeepingWest » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:23 pm

I was aware of what he was doing however he never mentioned the word "Monovision" to me or that there are cases where the patient does not tolerate this well. Just that in patients over 40 they do this to help with the loss of near vision. I asked questions and he never once mentioned any of the things I have learned here. He basically talked me into it stating that I would not see any difference.
This vision stinks! If and when I lose near vision I have no problem using dollar store glasses at work and the rest of the time seeing the world as it should be.
I can tell you with me, if tested with contacts first, it wouldnt take weeks to decide. All I would have needed is one day to tell this is not good vision. I agree, why would you want your patient to take the risk of recorrection due to something like this.
First thing I will be asking next visit is when and if they can do the recorrection to fix this.
WeepingWest

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:17 pm

Actually, you would know if you love monovision in one day, but it takes about three weeks to know if you hate it.

It takes 2-3 weeks for the brain to understaind what is happening and try to adjust. Some people who have problems with monovison at week one like it by week three when the brain learns how to use the new vision.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby WeepingWest » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:09 pm

Glenn,

I had a feeling you would say that. I will try to hang in there and see what happens in three weeks.
I greatly appreciate your knowledge and advise during this frustrating time.
WeepingWest

Postby WeepingWest » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:38 pm

Here is my update 09/07/2007
This blended vision still stinks. Doc still says its way too soon. Well I disagree but will try and keep an open mind. He gave me a contact to get me through driving, working etc because I was almost in tears my follow up visit explaining the blended vision is poor. I have to wait until January (6mo) before a decision is made to recorrect the one eye.
He says if treated with contacts first it would not be the same. Yeah whatever.....
The good news is I have no issues with dry eye or anything else.
WeepingWest

Postby lvziggy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:45 pm

WW - don't think you're crazy or alone in feeling like you do. I work with a lady who went to the same surgeon I went to. He really tried to push the monovision on me but I knew I didn't like the sound of my brain having to adjust to the blended vision so I refused to let him do it. I LOVE my vision. The lady I work with let him talk her into having the monovision and she HATES it! She's more than 6 months out from having her eyes done so she went back to the dr. to get the undercorrected eye fixed for distance. The dr. STILL didn't want to do that, instead he gave her a contact to wear for awhile so she can make sure she wants to get it fixed. As soon as she put on the contact she knew she wanted to have BOTH eyes able to see distance. I think she it scheduling the get the undercorrected eye corrected for distance sometime this month.

I'm not sure why doctors push the monovision so hard. From reading this forum it seems there are people who like it, but personally I couldn't imagine it. I do use reading glasses but that's no big deal to me. I want to be able to see clearly in general, which I don't think happens with monovision.

Keep after your doctor until he gives you the vision you wanted in the first place.

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby WeepingWest » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:37 pm

I plan to ask why he refuses to recorrect until 6 mo. I suppose after all you go though a couple more months is not a big deal but I think he feels I may change my mind and like it. My personal feeling on this is that you will know earlier than they say wheather you will like this or not. I cant wait to recorrect this eye and get back to myself again......... I figure all and all, probably one year for the whole ordeal. I will post my updates to see if I am right.
WeepingWest

Reason for Monovision

Postby MonoVisionExperiment » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:27 am

I can tell you the reason I wanted to try Monovision. I tried contacts with full correction and it was terrible for me. I couldn't focus on anything within 10 feet of me. I felt like I was wearing binoculars that I couldn't take off. It was terrible. Maybe that's why doctors push it? I had monovision lasik and I am having issues also but I just wanted you to think about what it would be like to not have any near vision at all before you opt for that. However, mine might just be because of my degree of correction, it might not do that to everybody.... I hope things work out for you.

Beth
MonoVisionExperiment

Return to Just Had It