PRK

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

PRK

Postby PRKclient » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:18 pm

My vision was -5.5 and -6.5, and the doctor did not recommend me to have Lasik since my pupil was big, but I was leaning toward PRK myself.
The only concern I had was that I will not recover in about a week (I took a week of vacation), and I am working in front of the computer nearly 10 hours a day.

I had a PRK with CustomVue done on my both eyes on July 9 around noon. The operation was very quick (something like 5-10 minutes). It was nearly painful except the part when doctors put some cold water (or medicine) in my eye right when the laser did it job - but all that happened almost at the end of the procedure.

First, they place something on your eye which prevents your eye from blinking (the second eye is covered, but the doctor asks you to keep it open).
Then they scratch your eye (this is completely painless since the some cream was applied to make sure that your eye does not feel the paint)
Then the laser is being applied (for about 5-10 seconds), and finally the cold water/medicine being put to your eye (at this moment I was tanksful for the soft balls that the doctor placed in my had before the operation so I can squeeze then when it is the most painful or uncomfortable).
Finally a lens will be applied to you eye, to protect it.

The same procedure is being applied to the second eye. and you can sees right after the operation (I am sure all the doctors have a wall clock to make sure that you can see without problems).

The first two day are OK except the eyes are very sensitive to light while you are outside (in the house my I could walk with out sunglasses since windows were covered and I would put on the sunglasses before putting the light on). At night I was wearing the protective eye shield which doctor provided and tried to sleep on my back. I was applying all the drops that doctor provided and asked me to buy in advance according to the schedule.

Tuesday night I started to feel some paint in my eyes, and around 11pm the paint was so strong that I was feeling sorry that I did go trough with the operation. I applied the pain drops that was give to me by my doctor (Acular) according to the schedule, but the paint was still strong. I had to call a doctor on the cell phone, and she was very helpful. She suggested that I take some Ibuprofen (which was also provided by the doctor), informed me that it is normal to have so much paint on the second day, and suggested me to come to the office. The check in the doctor's office the next morning insured that everything is OK and healing is going as scheduled.

On Firday the lenses were removed (actually one of the lenses were missing, but I believe that it felt on Friday morning) and carefully checked both eyes. She gave me a new schedule for Lotemax and asked me to keep using Allergan Tears for a couple of month. Also wanted to mention that on Friday morning and until the evening I saw everything with a shadow which was gone the next morning.

My current vision is 20/20, and I can mention that I did not watch TV or use computer until the lenses were removed from my eyes (I am not sure if that helped)

I will go office for the follow up on August 2 and then on August 28.

I am thankful to Glenn Hagele and all the people who had put their thoughts and answers on this FORUM because they have been very helpful to me.
Let me know if someone have any questions, and I will be glad to answer them if I can.

Oleg
PRKclient

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:57 pm

I am glad that the information you found here was helpful and you are having such a good result from your PRK. Please keep us informed of your continued progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: PRK

Postby houstonman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:16 pm

PRKclient wrote:My vision was -5.5 and -6.5, and the doctor did not recommend me to have Lasik since my pupil was big, but I was leaning toward PRK myself.
The only concern I had was that I will not recover in about a week (I took a week of vacation), and I am working in front of the computer nearly 10 hours a day.

I had a PRK with CustomVue done on my both eyes on July 9 around noon. The operation was very quick (something like 5-10 minutes). It was nearly painful except the part when doctors put some cold water (or medicine) in my eye right when the laser did it job - but all that happened almost at the end of the procedure.

First, they place something on your eye which prevents your eye from blinking (the second eye is covered, but the doctor asks you to keep it open).
Then they scratch your eye (this is completely painless since the some cream was applied to make sure that your eye does not feel the paint)
Then the laser is being applied (for about 5-10 seconds), and finally the cold water/medicine being put to your eye (at this moment I was tanksful for the soft balls that the doctor placed in my had before the operation so I can squeeze then when it is the most painful or uncomfortable).
Finally a lens will be applied to you eye, to protect it.

The same procedure is being applied to the second eye. and you can sees right after the operation (I am sure all the doctors have a wall clock to make sure that you can see without problems).

The first two day are OK except the eyes are very sensitive to light while you are outside (in the house my I could walk with out sunglasses since windows were covered and I would put on the sunglasses before putting the light on). At night I was wearing the protective eye shield which doctor provided and tried to sleep on my back. I was applying all the drops that doctor provided and asked me to buy in advance according to the schedule.

Tuesday night I started to feel some paint in my eyes, and around 11pm the paint was so strong that I was feeling sorry that I did go trough with the operation. I applied the pain drops that was give to me by my doctor (Acular) according to the schedule, but the paint was still strong. I had to call a doctor on the cell phone, and she was very helpful. She suggested that I take some Ibuprofen (which was also provided by the doctor), informed me that it is normal to have so much paint on the second day, and suggested me to come to the office. The check in the doctor's office the next morning insured that everything is OK and healing is going as scheduled.

On Firday the lenses were removed (actually one of the lenses were missing, but I believe that it felt on Friday morning) and carefully checked both eyes. She gave me a new schedule for Lotemax and asked me to keep using Allergan Tears for a couple of month. Also wanted to mention that on Friday morning and until the evening I saw everything with a shadow which was gone the next morning.

My current vision is 20/20, and I can mention that I did not watch TV or use computer until the lenses were removed from my eyes (I am not sure if that helped)

I will go office for the follow up on August 2 and then on August 28.

I am thankful to Glenn Hagele and all the people who had put their thoughts and answers on this FORUM because they have been very helpful to me.
Let me know if someone have any questions, and I will be glad to answer them if I can.

Oleg

PRK is exactly what I want to do. Im 23 and have the option of Intralase Lasik but I just dont want my cornia to have a flap so Im wanting to go with PRK. How bad is the pain on Tuesday. That worries me a bit since I hate pain. What about the procedure? was it really painless? Did those drops Hurt? Thanks.
houstonman

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:35 pm

I had PRK and there was no pain or discomfort during my procedure as my eyes were numbed. I had an unusual and delayed recovery (I didn't follow my doctor's instructions!) so my postop experience is not a good example.

When they offer the anxiety relief medication - take it. There is no reason for extra stress during the surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

pain after prk

Postby epthorn » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:02 pm

I'm sure the pain is variable, but the first 3 days were moderately painful/uncomfortable for me. I would rate them about a 3-6 on a scale of 10, fluctuating. I was on Gabapentin (did not seem to do much good) and before bed usually took a low dose another prescription painkiller that is blocked by a spamfilter (helped with sleep and starts with a V).

On or about the third day after the procedure I was in little or no pain whatsoever- just dryness.

I think the best way to describe the sensation is if you wear contacts, think of having an old dry contact in way too long, and multiply that times 2. It's definitely bearable, but generally avoid social situations... you'll not be happy .
epthorn

Return to Just Had It