Vision great, then not-so great - normal?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:24 am

Hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) correction has a very different response than myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) correcton. Some regression of the hyperopic correction effect is reasonable to expect. Your doctor will probably slightly overcorrect you into myopia (back up to what you wanted to go down to?), based upon his/her practical experience.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Update...

Postby mrb » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:46 pm

Since I benefited more from threads where the story is carried out to the end vs. dropping off midway...

Since I had no regression (very rare I'm told), from my original surgery in July which left me +2 overcorrected, my surgeon has decided that I'm ready for enhancement this week.

The surgery will take place Thursday.

I'm very excited that I only had to wait about 3 months for the enhancement and am ready to go.

I'll post the results after the procedure!

K
mrb

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:58 pm

Please do keep us informed of your outcome.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Still early, but...

Postby mrb » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:14 pm

...this is starting to feel like last time!

Ok, so the enhancement surgery was fine (although I think the first hours were rougher this time than last time - my bet is because prying the flap isn't as smooth as cutting it).

At my day after appt on Friday, I was able to read the 20/20 line and was in heaven. My near vision is very good. Much better than being farsighted like last time!

HOWEVER, by Friday night, things seem to be slipping again. I definitely have much better near vision, but my distance vision seems to be heading in the wrong direction.

I just got back from an errand and was having a very hard time reading street signs.

After the surgery, the doctor said something to the effect of: "near vision comes in first, distance vision tends to come later". Which is fine and dandy, but why was I able to see distance so much better the day after the surgery than I can now at 2 days after?

Of course, I know it's still very early and things will likely change more, but I'm interested in any thoughts folks have!

Thanks,

MrB
mrb

Re: Still early, but...

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:51 pm

mrb wrote:After the surgery, the doctor said something to the effect of: "near vision comes in first, distance vision tends to come later". Which is fine and dandy, but why was I able to see distance so much better the day after the surgery than I can now at 2 days after?

You undoubtedly have some corneal edema (swelling) that is inducing a small amount of myopia (nearsighted, shortisighted) vision. This will make your near vision excellent, but at the cost of distance vision. The edema probably did not present until the next day.

It is reasonable to have some fluctuation through the day, watch for dry eyes, expect vision to return gradually and likely unevenly. You may have a bit of ghosting, but that will undoubtedly pass.

Keep us up to date of your progress.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thanks Glenn.

Postby mrb » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:51 am

I'll try to stay positive while I wait this out!

It seems like my distance vision is getting worse by the hour today. Near vision still fine though, so I guess that's a good sign.

Thanks again,

K
mrb

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:21 am

Something that can be helpful is to keep a journal of your progress. Don't obsess every day, but jot down on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Give yourself the weekend off. After a few weeks you can go back and watch your progress.

Any sudden degradation in your vision should be promptly reported to your doctor. It may be nothing, but give the professionals the chance to make that decision.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

EPILOGUE...

Postby mrb » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:03 pm

I wanted to close the loop on my "story"...

It's been about 2 months since my enhancement surgery and 5 months since my original and my near vision is still great, and my distance vision has slowly gotten better over time.

At my last follow up, I was [i]sort of[/i] able to read the 20/20 line with lots of squinting.

I need no glasses/contacts for anything, although, depending on where my final vision ends up, I may invest in a pair of prescription sunglasses for use with outdoor sports to fine tune distance vision.

In hindsight, I think the best advice I can give to those just starting down this path is to keep your expectations realistic in terms of the time to go from your starting vision to your final vision. I fell into the trap of thinking my story would be like the commercials - bad vision in the morning, great vision the next day. And while this is possible, it doesn't appear to be the norm, ESPECIALLY for older folks with lots of correction needed.

All in all, I'm thrilled with my results.

I'll close with a thank you to Glenn - this site is definitely a help as you go through the process...

Good Luck!

K
mrb

Previous

Return to Just Had It