regressed vision and micro-striae

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

regressed vision and micro-striae

Postby felipep » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:33 am

Hello Glenn,

Thank you very much for this website. I like it's objectivity and your thorough responses. I have a couple of questions for you. I just had all laser lasik surgery, intralase with custom wavefront on July 20th. I don't know exactly my vision in terms of numbers but I do know that I have moderate astigmatism and my vision was all around blurry. So I underwent the procedure and my left eye, which was worse in terms of vision, was bloody around the white of the eye after the procedure but my right eye looked fine. Then the following morning at the check up, I was told that I had micro-striae on my left eye. He seemed to immediately place the blame on me and that I was the cause of the striae. Well, I completely disregarded the striae problem since that day, 2nd day after surgery, I could see extremely well. I was able to see 20/15 the day after surgery. Unfortunately, it seems like my vision has regressed because it is not nearly as sharp as it was the 2nd day after surgery. And worse is that when I look at any light source through my left eye and cover my right eye, all lights streak directly to the left and it is extremely noticeable and I hope it is not permanent since I spend 15 hours a day on the computer. Also, when I cover my left eye and look at any lights with my right eye, I can notice lights streak downwards but not nearly as bad as my left eye. It seems like my indoor/computer vision is just poor as opposed to when I am standing outside. I can see things that are far in pretty good detail. I had an appointment with him on July 25th and explained to him about the streaking. He told me that it will correct itself over time but I almost want to get a 2nd opinion. He told me that he could redo the flap but that because I have such good out of that eye, 20/15, it could worsen. I have an appointment with him this Wednesday. I am thinking about getting my flap straightened out because hopefully after it is straightened out, any ghosted vision in my left eye will hopefully disappear just like in Borderline's case. All in all, my vision has worsened over the last week. I have read the forums and it may be possible that I am experiencing dry eye so I will also mention that to him as well. I feel like I am wearing a bad prescription of glasses.

Also on another note, my doctor had told me that once you have the surgery, there is no way to get prescription glasses to correct any problems with your vision. Is that true?

Thank you very much for your input and response.
felipep

Re: regressed vision and micro-striae

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:00 pm

felipep wrote:Thank you very much for this website. I like it's objectivity and your thorough responses.

Thanks for the kind words. We do strive to provide objective Lasik information.

felipep wrote:...Unfortunately, it seems like my vision has regressed because it is not nearly as sharp as it was the 2nd day after surgery.

Lasik micro-striae (flap wrinkles) is caused by the internal stresses of the Lasik flap pulling together the corneal tissue and crinkling the Lasik flap. These tiny crinkles are often best treated by leaving them alone. With time the flap relaxes and the epithelium smoothes the irregularities.

The fact that your vision is good, but not excellent, indicates that treatment for your micro-striae may not be required. Your doctor can monitor your progress and advise as you heal.

felipep wrote:...lights streak

This should be expected with micro-striae. The light entering the eye is disrupted by the crinkled flap, which causes the light to redirect off-focus. This loss of focus of some of the light entering the eye often presents as poor quality vision measurable with a contrast sensitivity test and starbursting or halos from light sources. The vision is worse at night because more of the cornea is exposed to incoming light when the pupil is larger.

felipep wrote:...but I almost want to get a 2nd opinion.

A second opinion will either show that you are on the right track with your current doctor, or that you need to find a different path. Either way you will have greater peace of mind.

felipep wrote:He told me that he could redo the flap but that because I have such good out of that eye, 20/15, it could worsen.

“Better” is always the enemy of “good enough” and 20/15 vision is more than good enough. You will probably do well to do nothing for at least three months, depending upon what the surgeon observes.

felipep wrote:any ghosted vision in my left eye will hopefully disappear just like in Borderline's case. All in all, my vision has worsened over the last week.

Ghosting is much more likely caused by residual astigmatism, edema (inflammation), or macro-striae than by micro-striae. All can be temporarily induced by the current compromised state of your cornea and may resolve with more healing. Your surgeon is the one to diagnose this situation.

felipep wrote:I have read the forums and it may be possible that I am experiencing dry eye so I will also mention that to him as well.

Lasik dry eye could cause and exacerbate micro-striae by creating greater stress in the cornea. Measurements can be made to determine the quantity and the quality of your tears.

felipep wrote:Also on another note, my doctor had told me that once you have the surgery, there is no way to get prescription glasses to correct any problems with your vision. Is that true?

I believe this is a misunderstanding. I the problem after Lasik is refractive error, then glasses or contact lenses can resolve the issue. Glasses will not improve micro-striae, however contact lenses may because they tend to cause a smoothing effect to the surface of the Lasik flap.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thank you.

Postby felipep » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:21 pm

Thank you very much for your input. I have an appointment set for tomorrow. I will keep you updated with the information. Thank you once again.
felipep

Return to Just Had It