I am older and my midrange and close up is terrible

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

I am older and my midrange and close up is terrible

Postby Judy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:20 am

I had my wavefront lasik on Friday July 27, and I am very upset and worried. I am older, in my 50's and was aware that I would need reading glasses but what I am experiencing seems much more profound than just reading glasses. My mid-range is blurry. My near range is very poor. I am thinking I have destroyed my vision and I am really feeling a sense of despair. My far range is excellent. Just the closer in I get, the worse I get. I did not realize how disabling this was going to be. I have bought drug store readers and have them positioned all over the house and need them for computer, reading and anything else requiring up close vision, but there is nothing to help with the midrange vision loss. Please, can I expect this aspect to improve? I went shopping today and it was very difficult since I could not see upclose or midrange clearly. If this is how its going to be will perscription glasses clear this up or have I completely ruined myself? I understand it takes a while to heal, and I can do that patiently if I know things will improve. Right now I just feel worried. I wish I had not done this. I would give anything to have my eyes back the way they were. Thanks for anything you can tell me.
Judy

Postby bathory313 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:40 am

Hi there!

I am one month post-op, and I experienced pretty much what you are going through. My distance vision was primo; yet my mid-range and close vision were terrible.......it was frustrating! You will find over the course of the next few weeks that your vision will fluctuate day-to-day, and even fluctuate in the same day! I was also using the drug-store readers quite a bit; I find that I'm using them less now. I occasionally use them for computer use, and about 50-50 for reading books and such. (I'm 39, and had a high prescription; severely myopic with astigmatism)

Please be patient. It can take up to 3 months (or a bit more) for your eyes to heal. Understand that your eyes are still swollen, and as the edema goes down, you will see improvements in your vision. I've learned on this forum that even the tiniest bit of edema will throw the vision off.

Glenn is the expert; I'm just sharing what I've experienced myself!
bathory313

First glimmer of hope

Postby Judy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:29 pm

Thank you Mallory, your post is my first ray of hope. I will keep you all posted. I hope to be a spokesman for older people getting this procedure. I understand most people are younger so not getting the presbyobia that older people get so their recovery is quicker and less complicated.

You are right about the fluctuation of vision. Morning is the worst time. I am so glad to hear you are doing so much better. I know you must have felt the fear I am going through. As I said before, I understood I would need reading glasses for compute and reading....thats okay, but this midrange vision loss is very upsetting. I did not expect 5-6 feet away, being so out of focus. I can be patient if I know there is hope. You have given me some and I will always be grateful. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

I go to the Dr. on Friday, hopefully she will have good news for my one week checkup. I intend to keep posting as I go along my 6 month journey so that all the older folks out there have someone to relate to.
Judy

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:58 pm

What you are experiencing is what I call Sudden Presbyopia.

Your doctor may be able to provide a refraction (which is better, one or two?) to determine if you have any residual refractive error that is contributing to the problem. The loss of mid-range vision quality can be also be caused by astigmatism, which may be caused by edema (inflammation) of the cornea after surgery.

Reading glasses will be a part of your future, however it is much too early to tell how well your mid-range vision will be.

Do keep us informed.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Edema

Postby Judy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:16 pm

Thank you Glen, I am hopeful that now that I am off the 4-day prescriptive drugs that things might improve. How long can one expect the edema to last? Have you any information that after the 4-days of drug protocol that people have had some improvement? I read on one of the websites that this is often the case. That there is a steroid in them that keeps things sorta messed up.

I really appreciate all you do to alleviate our fears out here in post-lasik land as frankly they do not explain all this to us before surgery. I am sure hoping I did not spend almost 4,000 dollars to destroy my vision. I think if the midrange calms down, I will be tickled pink to end up with readers. Right now doing common things is such a chore. Thank you again....Judy
Judy

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:30 pm

Steroids eye drops are used as an anti-inflammatory and to control wound response. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) are also commonly provided, but can be as common as ibuprofen.

Lasik may be "quick" and "painless" but you just had microsurgery on your eyes. It is not surprising that they will take some time to settle down. Lasik is more of a six month process than a 20-Minute Miracle - although I suspect your issues will get better over the next few weeks.

Perhaps Lasik doctors don't explain all of this before surgery, but it is Lasik doctors who fund our organization though certification fees, so in a peripheral way they are helping to make this information available through us.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bathory313 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:07 pm

I look forward to reading a reply from you in a few weeks that says, "My mid-range is wonderful!" :D

It is very, very early in the healing process. Don't be scared!
bathory313

Day 6, thanks Bathory, this forum is keeping me sane

Postby Judy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:40 pm

Thanks Bathory for your kind post. I hope to keep a good record going for use for future older patients who are experiencing the midrange blurriiness. I am looking for small improvements each day, and believing what many of you say that time heals and things will change.

Today the improvement is, that the eyes do not feel quite as much like I am wearing overly dry contacts. The drug store cheaters seem to help a bit more today and the near vision is a bit clearer using the cheaters. I understood I would need glasses for near vision so this is fine.

I understand I will need reading glasses and am wondering when I should be able to get perscription glasses as I know the reading will be crisper and better with them rather than drug store cheaters.

Mid vision is still blurry. When I watch TV everything is sorta wavy...i.e. the faces are not quite in focus and the small words are hard to read. I can tell the who the actor is but they are not crisp. I keep wishing I could put on my glasses and make things sharp.

Far vision is still fairly crisp and sharp...but unfortunately most of the tasks one does, requires the midvision to be clear. Cleaning house is very difficult as I cannot see clearly what I am doing. Shopping is a bit freaky as the near vision glasses are too strong to help the mid vision loss.

Glenn feels I may have a bit of edema yet, and that seemed reasonable. I go for my one week tomorrow and I will post the results.

Right now, I have to say I am still worried. I cannot believe I have done this to myself. I believe in dealing with things....so I will deal with this, but I am very sorry I have put myself in this kind of jeopardy. I hope older folks will read my post and realize that lasik sounds like it will be wonderful to get rid of those myopic eyes. Right now, I would love to have them back so I can see again. Thanks to Glen and Bathory for your posts and hopeful comments. Judy
Judy

Postby bathory313 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:26 pm

Go through the topics here in 'just had it', you will find that others had a lot of pretty much the same!

Yesterday, I was having a blurry day; today, the letters here are just as crisp and sharp as they want to be. Fluctuating still, even after 1+ month........see?

I learned some alternative things that might be done for healing on this forum, also.............Someone had mentioned taking flax oil caps; I asked my doctor about it, and got the go-ahead from her to take them.

You will also find good suggestions for different eyedrops, but always ask your doc before switching.

I've found some good relief for blur from a homeopathic drop called "Blur Relief"; they are specifically for older, presbyopic eyes.
bathory313

3 weel update

Postby Judy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Hi everyone.....I have some an update. Today is 3 weeks post of. I had wavefront lasik. The first two weeks were pure hell. I could not see clearly close, mid or far. My one week checkup is was around 20/40...barely legal to drive.

This forum gave me hope....I realized many of us take a while to heal...and I am in the healing phase. Today I can say things are a bit clearer. They are not anywhere near where I hope they will land but at least I have gone from minimal function to moderate function. The fuzziness has cleared out somewhat and I have been able to stop using the 1.5 readers to see my midrange. My midrange is not totally cleared out but it is better. My far vision is acceptable. Not20/20 but I am not nearsighted as I once was. It is incredible to go outside and see things rather clear.

My near vision is still blurry, but better. I have moved from needing 2.5 readers to 2.0 readers. I am hoping to end up in the 1.50 range.

I still cannot read a book comfortably....I suspect that will not happen till I get good quality eyeglasses. I will not do that until at least 3 months out.
I have a huge assortment of over-the-counter readers. With the help of these I am functioning.

I am so grateful that things have improved a little that it gives me hope that things will eventually improve more. I keep thinking one day I will wake up and things will suddenly be clear. Realistically, the improvement is coming in such small percentages that it takes a look back of a week to see the improvement. If my eyes improve as much as they have in the last 10 days......I think I will feel at peace.

I hope all of you get some encouragement that are in the beginning stage of this process. It does take a long time to heal, and the older, more astigmatism, etc that you are....the more your healing may require of you.

If I had known all this, frankly I would not have done this. But then, many at this stage feel that way. I will reserve final judgement for the 6 month mark. I hope you all improve daily and we all go through this journey and come out clear-eyed in the end. Judy
Judy

Return to Just Had It