I want my old eyes back

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

I want my old eyes back

Postby mbalk » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:33 pm

I had lasik a few days ago and at age 46 have suffered from sudden presbyopia. we deliberately undercorrected on e eye to 0.50. WHile I can type this on the computer, the letters are diffficult to see and Id rather have my short vision back and wear glasses for distance. My question: Is it possible to have an "enhancement" to make me myopic again and restore my near vision ( I'd rather be a -1.5 than what I am now) and in retrospect, wearing glasses for diastance isnt that big a deal. can this be done?
michael
mbalk

Re: I want my old eyes back

Postby JPD » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:42 am

mbalk wrote:Is it possible to have an "enhancement" to make me myopic again and restore my near vision ( I'd rather be a -1.5 than what I am now) and in retrospect, wearing glasses for diastance isnt that big a deal. can this be done?
michael

Is this question even for real? It's only been a couple days, and you're already talking enhancement to reverse the procedure? Give it some time. A lot of time in fact, like 3-6 months. If you expected perfect results after a few days, then you're expectations are very unrealistic. First of all it's impossible to say what your final vision will be because you're still so far away from being healed, and in addition to that with blended/mono vision, your brain needs time to adjust and "re-learn" how to focus your vision. Secondly, after only a few days no doctor would even talk to you about an enhancement, let alone lay out a plan as to which way to correct you in order to "restore" your vision.

But to answer your question, yes it probably could be done, assuming you're a suitable candidate for enhancement surgery. However there are a lot of inherent risks involved with enhancements and especially those which try to reverse the original procedure. So you could likely end up worse then ever if you decide to have that done.

Your doctor should have first tried you out with the monovision contact lenses before proceeding with the procedure to see how well it worked for you. Some people love them, but other are never able to adjust to them. The contacts would have answered this question in regard to you. Not doing this was an unwise move by your surgeon, but it's ever so common. You never know, once you heal and retrain your brain to focus, you may end up loving your current procedure. You need to wait and see.
JPD

No dumb questions only dumb answers..sometimes

Postby Mr.UnPerfect » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:00 am

mbalk ..alot of us go thru that sort of thinking..especially with such a dramatic change in our usual vision (years of looking thru glass" )it's a new ball game now. As a rule of thumb, once you correct for near you can change to far, but if you are corrected for far you cannot go back to near. However there are always exceptions to the rule and sometimes other ways of working around the problem.
"I am not a LASIK expert"

Please keep in mind there is only one LASIK expert here named GLEN the rest of us are "Just another BOZO on the BUS" lol. he.he

"Don't take ourselves to seriously"
Mr.UnPerfect

Postby mbalk » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:47 am

yes the question was for real! I did try true monovision but didnt like it.the blended was a compromise ( which I am glad i did). I know its early on but I just didnt realize the sudden change would have such a pyschological impact. In retrospect, wearing glasses for all mid and long distance activities but being able to read a good book, look at computer etc without glasses was fine and while my new vision is also fine in many ways, its just a different way of thinking about how I see and it is stressful. My surgeon would never consider any enahncement until a minimum of 3 months and like you , I doubt he'd be willing to make me mildly nearsighted again. I think I just need a good nights sleep and a good pair of RX glasses for near vision and I will start feeling good again.michael
mbalk

I Understant Michael

Postby Judy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:42 pm

I feel the same way you do Michael, I wish I had my old eyes back, but unfortunately we will have to deal with what we have now. I could read and do whatever up close. I just could not see far away. I saw so many people have such good results getting lasik and being able to see that I dreamed of a life without glasses. Now, I fear I will have glasses for everything. I just hope there are glasses capable of dealing with all the problems I now seem to have.

I wish for older folks they would really make it clear what losing our near vision means. They just say you will need glasses for reading and computer work. Well guess what, I think there is more to it than that and they need a better way to explain what we are trading.

Best of luck to you, I will read your posts and keep up with you and hope you are going to do well......Judy
Judy

Postby rosecmd » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:13 pm

I understand how you feel. I am 47 and was nearsighted and wore progressive lenses for distance/reading. However, I was never told by my surgeon that I would lose my near vision after surgery, the vision that I had when I took off my glasses to see something close. I understood that she couldn't correct for near and far and she didn't recommend mono. I wasn't concerned because in my mind pre-surgery, I had near vision and didn't need it corrected. I was told my surgery would make me see well for distance and that I would need reading glasses. It didn't dawn on my that reading glasses were different than my progressive lenses. I actually feel a bit stupid for not realizing that.

What a shock sudden presbyopia is. I was panicked and I hated it. I actually wasn't sure what was going on. Anyway, I've learned a lot since then and actually can't believe I did not come across the issue of sudden presbyopia in my research and am very disappointed in my dr for not even addressing the issue despite being asked several times what results I could expect and what would be different than my "old" vision.

In addition, I am now suffering from pretty bad dry eyes and that also affects my vision. I had somewhat dry eyes pre-surgery but my doctor (10 years of lasik surgery exp. and a corneal surgeon) didn't seem concerned. AND, at my one month check up my dr said I was over corrected by .5 dioptors (my optomostrist says it's closer to .87 dioptors each eye at the present time.) So, I was overcorrected into hyeropia if I understand correctly. My near and mid-range vision are blurry. My distance vision was 20/20 one day after surgery and 20/40, 20/50 at one month. Today, at 5 weeks, distance seems subjectively better and I think the mid-range is improving a tiny bit.

I am adjusting to my new vision. Right now, my/my drs. plan is to treat the dry eyes with Restasis, lots of Refresh Plus, ointment at night (I often have to get up in the middle of the night to re-apply), and I am taking flax/fish oil capsules -those ones for eyes. She'll see if I regress and how much my vision improves as time goes by and if I may need an enhancement to improve my mid-range vision/hyperopia. I went to get new glasses so I can do mid-range things in low-light such as drive, watch TV and see better at work and in my house. I love the Clics readers I got on Amazon.com. Most often I can just use them and I try to ignore the mid-range blur. Overall, right now, I regret having lasik but I need to forge on with the best options. I see great for now with my new prescription glasses, and I'm aware the prescription will change over time.
rosecmd

Rose we sound similar

Postby Judy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:00 pm

Hi Rose, you sound very positive. I am in the same boat as you. Sudden presbyopia, and the midrange not good as well. My far vision was 20/40 at my one week. I have an appointment next week and I am anxious to see if the the numbers moved.

The Dr. said I was overcorrected and they would settle down. I have to admit, they have settled down a bit, but not enough for good function. I have felt very anxious over this, but since I have seen a bit of clearing, I am in hopes of recovery.

My Dr. mentioned enhancement......I am not sure about this whole process and would love to understand it better. Wondering if I will have to go through 2-3 months of hell-healing afterwards. Wondering if enhancement could make me worse.....all these thoughts.

Do not despair about the dry eye....most people seem to take a few months for that to settle. I have not worn eye makeup in the past 3 weeks since I have to drown my eyes every few hours. But, since I can't see myself well in the mirror I can't tell if I look gaunt (ha ha). I understand there are mirrors for us to be able to once again see well enought to put on makeup and pluck our eyebrows. My female friends all say to me....join the crowd, all of us need glasses for close up.

No one tells you the psychological challenge of once being capable of seeing up close clearly and losing it so suddenly. Even things like shopping are difficult. Not being able to settle down and read a book is my greatest loss. But, I do believe these things will once again be restored. I am only at 3 weeks......I got a ways to go......and there has been some improvement. If it improves the same amount in the next 3 weeks I should be close to goal. Good luck to all of you......keep posting your results and feelings as the people in your life get tired of listening...ha ha.....afterall, we look normal, and no one can appreciate the depth of our anxiety except someone going through it. Judy
Judy

Postby rosecmd » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi Judy, thanks for the reply...yes, we are both in waiting mode. I can't wait for and certainly hope that the dry eyes resolve, it's a real issue for me. My doctor says the dry eyes are really affecting the quality of my vision and bluriness. I have a lot of variability in my vision. Sometimes outside in great lighting my distance vision is great and I don't notice the mid-range blur. But inside is a different story. Inside is all mid-range and near vision and that is never great.

I see fine with my new corrected glasses, which I use early morning for a few hours until the morning blur dissipates, in the evening for TV, and at work and the office in dim-lighted situations. For everything else, I've been using my Clics readers (2.0)...they literally saved my life! I never lose them because if they are not on my nose, they are hanging around my neck and they are easy to put on and take off - they open at the nose and "clic" together with a little magnet. I can read great and use the computer best with them. Eye make-up? Thing of the past for now, ha ha. It does bother me not to be able to see my face up close in the mirrow - not to mention my kids' and husband's face without the readers or glasses on.

I am also concerned about going through all this healing hell if I end up with an enhancement. I'll definitley be getting a second opinion the next time round. I'll be six weeks out this coming Monday, and am anxious to get to three months to see more final results. I also want to speak to my doctor about plugs, or whatever they are called, to help with the dry eyes. Hang in there!
rosecmd

a quick question

Postby Judy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:47 pm

Rose, I read with interest your ways of coping. I checked out the clic glasses you mentioned and they do seem interesting. I think I will invest in a pair. I am not sure what strength to get. I use 3 strengths of readers.....(I know its funny.....we wanted to opt out of glasses, got this surgery now we all have a dozen pair to cope with) Anyway, I use 1.50 for minor usage.....2.0 for reading magazine etc.....2.50 for intense things...... When I first got the lasik, I needed 2.50 to read but it seems to be settling back toward the 2.0 Which makes me happy. When this all settles it will be interesting to see where it lands.

So I am confused which number to get for the clics..... Are you using the clics for the minor usage or the reading of paperwork? I need something to wear when shopping as that is a real hassle with this mid-range blur, and close up blur. Yet the closeup glasses are too intense to just walk around in.... brother!

You mentioned you got perscription glasses. This is where I got confused. What do you use them for and why is that different than your clic's. Does your optomotrist think that they will be useless in another month?

Have you done any research on what happens if we have to get touch up surgery? The Dr acts like its no big deal, but I really want to know what to expect. Lets keep in touch, we are so close on the road to recovery that it sounds like we are sisters. Hoping for clear eyes once again.....J
Judy

Postby bathory313 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:35 pm

I found relief from my presbyopia with Blur Relief drops:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/trp/

I'm 39, and the reading blur was driving me nuts. Even that is starting to resolve a bit, though........and those drops helped!
bathory313

Postby rosecmd » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:36 pm

Thanks for your comments, Judy. Yes, coping is the new theme for the next few months!

I love the Clics. I also bought several pairs of other readers at the drugstore, but found the quality of the near vision they provided was poor and variable. I have 2.0 Clics and I use them for reading and the computer, cooking, trimming my flowers, driving when I don't need my sunglass readers (I can see great out the window to drive, but the dashboard is kind of blurry). I invested almost $50 in a pair of great 2.0 sunglass readers that I used on the beach to read and also mostly when I'm driving or walking around outside. The optometrist where I bought those explained that the really inexpensive readers are stamped out of machines, where as the somewhat better quality ones are ground. I decided that I needed to get whatever helped me to see best.

I had my regular optometrist make me a pair of new presecription glasses. They give me a little distance help (like 20/40 in one and 20/50 in the other) and also they have 2.25 power for near. I use them in dim light (like in the early morning when I get up for about 2 hours) to see better in the house and also at night to watch TV and if I drove at night I would use them. I find that right now, I do not see great in low or dim light or darkness. That may change, I certainly hope. I also use them in the office because they help me with my mid-range vision - I guess the distance portion of them works for this. Since I was overcorrected into hyperopia, I am more farsighted than I really should be. As I understand it, this will only clear up with the dry eye resolving and with some expected regression. Readers don't help with mid-range (3-10 or so feet) vision. If that part of you vision is blurry, and mine is, then the prescription glasses for distance help. My vision is crisp and clear with my glasses. They are, however, too strong to use outside in bright sunlight. Hope that's not too confusing!

I won't be able to use the new prescription glasses for long becasue hopefully my eyes will improve. They are temporary. However, I can get new lenses in them within 90 days at no extra charge. They were epxensive, but I can't go around at work and at home not being able to see properly.
rosecmd

Thanks Rose and Bathory

Postby Judy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:37 am

Thanks both of you....Bathory I will look for the drops you suggested and maybe they will help with the blur.

Rose, your explanation was great. I cannot help but laugh how many pairs of glasses we all have to help us do what one pair used to do.....

Positive news: Today I went shopping and driving was incredible. Better than with my glasses in my old presbyoptic days. I think it was the lack of glasses so that all around vision was used. I don't think I am 20/20 but I suspect I might be close to 20/30. I will let you know after next wednesday's checkup.

Also, I noticed at the grocery the stuff on the shelf was a tad clearer, so my midrange must be improving a bit. Still not great but at least better. It was a nightmare to walk in and see nothing but blurs of color.

Today, it there was finally a heat break here in the northeast and we got down into comfortable. I was able to sit out on my deck and hooray, with my sunglass readers I was able to read a novel for the first time in 3 weeks. It seems the sunlight on the page made it possible. Indoors the dimness makes reading difficult.

I think this needing so much light to see is odd, I hope this clears up in time. I agree with Rose, in the morning it takes a couple hours of light to get the eyes functioning. I wonder if this is normal. It will be high on my list of questions for my surgeon on Wednesday.

TV viewing is still not perfect. I can tell there is improvement because I can now see the small print on the items on QVC. First 3 weeks post surgery could not make out all the words. I still cannot read the really small words often shown on commercials. The general look of the screen is sorta soft and not quite sharp, but I can at least tell who I am looking at now. At first I was not even able to be sure what actor was on the screen. I wore my 1.5 readers to see TV, now I do not need them.

I hope the journey we are sharing will help all you newbies out there. There are so many things to try. I take zinc every day, I do the flax seed oil....I do the eye finger aerobics to help my eyes focus, I had Reiki done on my eyes, I meditate and ask for healing for my eyes....I do it all....and I can see there is movement in the right direction.....Thanks once again to all your replies as you have saved my sanity.
Judy

Return to Just Had It