went to one week checkup and old eyes not good

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

went to one week checkup and old eyes not good

Postby Judy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:37 pm

Hi all, I had wave front lasik on June 29. Right now I feel it was the worst decision I ever made in my life. My eyes are very blurry. At first my far vision seemed good, but now that is beginning to get worse. On my one week I was 20/40 I am wearing mild 1.25 readers just to see things in the midrange. They are not good but at least de-blurr things a bit. I need strong readers to do computer and reading. Reading is such a chore I have given up except for must have reading. Reading a book is my favorite activity so this is devastating.

The Dr. says my vision is over corrected....This makes no sense since my vision far away is a barely legal 20/40. I find I am best in the afternoon when the light is brightest. As the day gets darker my vision becomes less useable.

She is already talking enhancement and I have to admit I am so traumatized by this surgery that the thought of going through it again terrorizes me.

Does it take as long to recover from enhancement. Is enhancement dangerous?

I am telling myself each day to relax and let nature heal my eyes. I have to go to South Carolina for the next ten days to take care of my elderly father. I am very concerned how my eyes are going to serve me. I have an appointment after I get back to see the surgeon again. I pray things will be as she says "settled back" a bit.

I find the Dr's seem irritated by my concerns. They just keep saying you have to let them heal. I dont think they understand how frightening this is. I keep asking them If I am going to be alright.......they just keep saying with a sorta legalistic rehearsed reply tone "Things will be fine"

My question is, Am I ever going to be normal again? Will I ever have a life where I just get up and do not spend most of my day worried about my eyes? Any help any of you can give me is appreciated. I will check here on and off all day. Thank You,Judy
Judy

Postby mbalk » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:59 pm

judy, I am sorry you are going through this- so am I, and I hope you will find some comfort in knowing you are not alone. When the surgeon is talking enhancement, what are they goin to do? That is, are you a +.5 or something now and they are going to try to take you to a minus something?
I am seeing my doc wed for a 1 week check. I am also a doctor and am having incredible difficulty at work seeing charts and computers and because my eyes are different strengths, the cheapo readers areent working. My OD wants me to get progressive midrange and reader lenses. I am so frustrated I cannot sleep at night. michael
mbalk

Thanks Michael

Postby Judy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:15 pm

Michael, I am not sure about the numbers you speak of the + or -5. I just know that my far vision is 20/40. The Surgeon stated after looking at me on Friday (my one week checkup) "Now, I know why your eyes are so blurry and you are having midrange vision problems. Your eyes are overcorrected." This did not make sense to me since my vision was not 20/10....it was 20/40 and barely legal for driving. I guess I don't understand totally what overcorrected actually means.

She further went on to tell me that what she hopes will happen is over the next two-three months that my eyes will "settle" and things will clear up. That I might need enhancement surgery at three months.

I do not know if the enhancement surgery is to make the 20/40 closer to 20/20 or to make this awful blurriness go away. I also do not know if after this enhancement (if I have to have it and if I choose to do it) if one has to go through three more months of hell while your eyes once again settle.

I understand I need to heal. I just did not understand I was going to be this disabled and scared. I also know time is going to be my helper in this and hopefully will improve the quality of vision. Each day I go through great depression when I wake up and nothing seems any better. I go to bed and night and pray that some small healing will take place and things will improve. So far, not.

For all you older folks considering getting rid of your near-sighted glasses. The trade off is not worth it. I used to read, do computer etc without a care in the world. I naively thought fixing my far away vision would make life so much easier as I was contintuously taking off my myopic glasses so I could read or do up-close work and putting them back on later. Often having to find them to put them back on. How I wish that was my only problem. Now nothing is good and these drug store cheaters are not a very good solution either.

I just pray I eventually get to the point where I can see again. I will keep you in my prayers Michael. Judy
Judy

Postby mbalk » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:30 pm

Judy,
its amazing how similar our stories and feelings are! My wife, who had it done 8 months ago is super happy with hers and keeps telling me to give it time. But i now realize as a mom, she spends alot of her day driving, shopping, and her distance correction really improved her life. When not at work, I am fairly happy ( and I am only 4 days post op) but its so difficult when you're life seems to be turned upside down. but its important to remember its very early, there will be options down the road, and you still have your sight and there are a lot of worse things that could happen. Its crazy but I like my righ eye so much ( the one i didnt correct all the way) that mentally I am ready to "uncorrect" my good eye and go back to distance glasses. Please keep in touch. mbalk@bellsouth.net
mbalk

Thanks again

Postby Judy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:09 pm

Michael you are such a help to me emotionally. I know you understand and it does really help knowing others are having similar issues. One thing I forgot to mention is that the Dr. said my epithilium layer is still a bit rough and that needs to heal. Apparently it is the outer layer of the cornea and for those of us a bit older, it often gets rough and will take time to slough off and become smooth again. She did not actually make it clear to me if that process is causing the blurriness or if that will help make things come clear once it becomes smoother or how long it will take to slough off and become smoother. Do you know anything about this?

I am 100% positive that eventually, even if it means I have to wear heavy duty presbyopic correction glasses that I will eventually get to a place of sanity. Just seems like a lot of money to spend to become this disabled. I have been kicking myself daily for thinking lasik was going to improve my life and vision. They truly do not describe the impact of trading near-sighted vision for presbyopia. That is one reason I intend to post my story so others will take this as a cautionary tale. When they say just for reading and computer work. You think.....the rest of the time will be good. They do not tell you your midrange 3-10 feet will also go blurry.

I don't even have good far vision at 20/40. It will be interesting to see what the next 3 months bring. Healing requires patience. I am practicing that as best I can. I realize a month from now things might be totally different and I am looking forward to posting good news as my eyes continue to heal. Once this epithilium layer gets nice and smooth, who knows, maybe the world will twist into focus.

You are a wonderful man, I suspect a wonderful Dr. Thank you for your email address and mine is jheilich@msn.com I suspect we will be good partners during the next months as one does not want to complain on and on to their family and friends. Ha Ha I sign off, Mrs Magoo
Judy

Return to Just Had It