Lasik on July 20th

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik on July 20th

Postby music » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:59 pm

First of all, let me say how helpful this site has been since my surgery on July 20th. The surgeon's office has not been so helpful since the $$$$ was paid.
I was told by the surgeon that he would only do monovision on someone over 40 (I'm over 40), so I trusted his expertise. I was told that as a symphony musician this would be the best, because the undercorrected eye would not only be able to read the scores 3 feet away, but would also see distance clearly. I would be back at work the next day.
Well, needless to say, buyer beware.
I have been dizzy, unable to see beyond 5 feet in front of me, can't drive yet, and have had to take a leave from work. It was not explained to me that this might happen. I've also had extremely dry bloodshot eyes that hurt and won't focus.
The surgeon has been on a 2 week vacation, so I've been dealing with his staff regarding the dry-eye issue. They determined that my oil ducts on the eyelash line were clogged, so they prescibed Lotemax for 45 days to unclog them. That was all I was told to do for this.
I went to an optometrist later that day to have some glasses made that would help me see better for now, and he agreed that the oil ducts at the lashline were clogged. He said that with the Lotemax you should be checked for glaucoma pressure every 2 weeks, which the surgeon's office hadn't planned on doing. He also said that using baby shampoo and warm water would unclog the ducts, and be safer than the drops.
I later called the surgeon's office to ask them about this, and they said that only the drops would work at unclogging the oil ducts.
Glenn, can you help me out here?
music

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:17 am

music wrote:I was told by the surgeon that he would only do monovision on someone over 40 (I'm over 40)...

Then about one-third of his patients are in the same position as you. Just about any optometrist will tell you that about one-third of people who try monovision with contact lenses are intolerant of the effect.

Furthermore, unless you are totally contact lens intolerant you could have tried monovision in contacts for several weeks to see if you like it and to adjust the undercorrection power to the amount you like best.

music wrote:I was told that as a symphony musician...

This is an appropriate theory, however nothing screws up a perfectly good theory faster than reality.

music wrote:I have been...

Be sure to read our article about monovision.

music wrote:I've also had extremely dry bloodshot eyes that hurt and won't focus.

This is likely the bigger source of the problems. This indicates dry eyes, which can cause all sorts of problems that can contribute the the symptoms you describe.

music wrote:...I've been dealing with his staff...

Please tell me that the staff who prescribed Lotemax was an optometrist or ophthalmologist. If not, please feel free to give me a call or drop me an email.

music wrote:I went to an optometrist later that day...

An excellent idea. What is your prescription?

music wrote:I later called the surgeon's office to ask them about this, and they said that only the drops would work at unclogging the oil ducts.

Absolutely wrong. A warm compress can do it too. Restasis is FDA approved for treating dry eye by reducing inflammation around these ducts to allow the flow of lipids and aqueous.

It is still early in the healing process and that dry eye is undoubtedly causing some of these problems. The dizziness may be from the monovision or from inner ear problems caused or exacerbated by the dry eye.

It is likely that your doctor will recommend enhancement surgery to fully correct the undercorrected eye, but don't be in too much of a rush. Monovision is helpful for near and distance vision if your brain is able to deal with the imbalance between the eyes.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby WeepingWest » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:17 pm

My lasik was 7/13. I also had the undercorrection of one eye due to my age of 40. My doc basically talked me right into it without advising me of all the things you read about here. He just said "your going to love me the next day" well guess what......
I have a couple more weeks before my brain tells me if it can tolerate it but I think I already know what the answer will be.
Always better said than done, try to be patient. I feel for you. It is not easy to go through this healing process with problems. Hang in there.
WeepingWest

Postby music » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:33 am

I appreciate the advice and the good thoughts sent my way. Thank you both.
The staff that I have been conversing with at the surgeon's office are called "technicians". The staff member who prescribed the Lotemax is an ophthalmologist.
When I went in for my 1 week exam, the surgeon said the corneas look great, see you in 2 months. I told him that I couldn't see to drive and my eyes were still hurting alot, and was told, "Yes, we've made a note of that." I called a few days later to ask why I was still in pain, still couldn't see beyond 3 feet in front of me and was nauseated. The technician pulled my chart and said that the surgeon noted that I had dry eyes, which I hadn't been told before. I was told to put lots of drops in. I was told that the nausea and dizziness would not be an effect of the vision distortion I was experiencing.
My husband found this site to try and help find answers for the questions we were not getting straight answers to.
The glasses I had prescribed at the optometrist are only to let me read music 3 feet away, so are a low power reading lens, I believe. I didn't want to spend more money just yet on distance glasses, since the prescription could be changed by next week, right? My driving is being done for me by my husband. As far as the power needed for distance glasses goes, the optometrist told me not to drive or venture out alone, because I'm blind as a bat right now. I will give it until next week, then go get the distance glasses made.
I am still remaining open-minded as far as seeing if the monovision eventually will work for me. (I don't have much choice in the matter right now, anyway!) One of my concerns now, though, is that I've lost all confidence in this surgeon and their business, so I am reluctant to have them perform the enhancement surgery, should I choose that option when the time comes. The enhancement is included in the initial fee paid.
It seems sad to say that I'm not trusting of someone who is supposed to be in the business of helping people to get better. That's what MDs are supposed to do.
music

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:47 am

music wrote:The staff member who prescribed the Lotemax is an ophthalmologist.

That is an appropriate person to make the prescription.

music wrote:I was told to put lots of drops in.

Our article on Lasik dry eye treatment is a bit more detailed with multiple techniques to help dry eyes depending upon the causation.

music wrote:I was told that the nausea and dizziness would not be an effect of the vision distortion I was experiencing.

Nausea and dizziness are sometimes symptoms of intolerance to monovision. Something affecting the inner ear can do the same. It can be related to severe dry eye. The tearing system is connected to the sinus connected to the inner ear connected to the throat connected to the respitory system, etc.

music wrote:My husband found this site to try and help find answers for the questions we were not getting straight answers to.

We try!

music wrote:The glasses I had prescribed at the optometrist are only to let me read music 3 feet away, so are a low power reading lens, I believe.

Distance correction eye prescription would have been interesting, however I'm sure you will get one later.

music wrote:I didn't want to spend more money just yet on distance glasses, since the prescription could be changed by next week, right?

Absolutely. And the week after that and the week after. While your eyes are compromised by dry eyes you can experience significant fluctuation in vision quality and delayed healing. You may want to delay distance correction unless you need them to function.

music wrote:I'm blind as a bat right now.

That could be because of the dry eye rather than refractive error, or refractive error exacerbated by dry eye.

music wrote:I am still remaining open-minded...

That will be very helpful all-around. Your vision is compromised, but this is undoubtedly temporary. It is very early in the healing period. At the moment you don't have much choice, but an open and positive attitude can really make a difference.

music wrote:I've lost all confidence in this surgeon...

That may or may not be appropriate. It is possibly too early to make this decision too.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby music » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:22 pm

I'm posting a quick update. My surgeon returned from vacation and called to talk to me, and also apologize for his staff not being very helpful. He also said that he would do the enhancement to bring the left eye back to seeing distance if I still wanted this in a few months.
I would encourage anyone who knows a symphony or opera pit musician to really do their research into how this decision for monovision will affect their job performance. I have tried to return to work using just the reading glasses prescribed for music, and discovered that I could not see the conductor (usually they stand 20 feet away, depending on where you are set-up). Monday I will see about getting bifocals to deal with this issue. I kept hoping that my distance vision would just miraculously "kick-in" at some point last week, but it never did. I did have nonstop headaches and eyestrain which felt like if you've ever been out on a boat with the sun hitting the water all day, and not had sunshades on. It's just this incredible eyestrain pain, plus the dryness and the pain that goes with that.
I know that the incidence of complications due to Lasik are probably very low, BUT....I think there should be some kind of watchdog group that makes the Lasik offices let you know up front what could possibly happen. Mainly I'm referring here to long recovery times, and how (especially depending on what you do for a living) this might need to be taken into account, so that you might want to have this procedure done during a time where you could take a break from work if needed. It seems like they might be a little eager to have you learn about their payment plans and sign on the dotted line, when in fact this is not a used car you're buying....It's a surgical procedure.
music

Postby music » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:29 pm

BTW, thank you Glenn for all the help that this site provides for those of us who are needing answers and support!
music

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:25 am

music wrote:....I think there should be some kind of watchdog group that makes the Lasik offices let you know up front what could possibly happen.

In our own way, this is what we do with our Lasik doctor certification. Of course, outside evaluation by a patient advocacy does not guarantee success in every case, but I submit that it is a step in the right direction.

music wrote:BTW, thank you Glenn for all the help that this site provides for those of us who are needing answers and support!

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad we have been of assistance.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby music » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:51 am

I went to the optometrist today to get bifocals made. I neglected to find out the numbers for my distance lens part of the glasses, but I do know that with either eye alone, or both eyes together that I could not see 20/40, and he had to go farther up the eye chart to find something I could see. He said that since I went in to get the "music-reading" glasses made at their store on July 31, that my left eye showed no improvement, and that my right eye (supposedly my distance eye) had actually gotten worse. He seemed disturbed that I had been able to see him twice in the past 2 weeks, but my surgeon has been so hard to get to in the same length of time. The bifocals were made, and I was so happy to get to see again, because it had been almost a month to the day since the last time I was able to see anything farther than 3 feet away from me.
I am going to call an ophthamologist recommended to me to see if I can become a new patient with them, because I need to know that if I am in pain and can't see that I can get in to see someone, since the Lasik office seems to want patients to just "go away" who are having problems.
I wish I had my old eyes back.
music

Return to Just Had It