Just had Lasik and...

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Just had Lasik and...

Postby TopCat » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:50 pm

I had a laser excimer surgery about 10 years ago and my farsighted vision problem came back again, so I decided to have a new lasik procedure again wich was performed about 5 days ago, surgeon said there should be no problem, well its been 5 days vision on my left eye is excellent 20/20 or better I presume I had -1.25 before the surgery on this eye... but my right eye just doesnt seem to heal that fast, my vision is blurry and I see ghost images most of the time, talked to my surgeon the day after the surgery and he told me that he had to put a contact lens on my right eye because the flap suffered a small rupture during surgery, he told tha this happens sometimes and that it would not affect the surgery results, he was about to remove the lens a couple of days after, and after removing it and inspection my eye he told me that I should have to wear the lens for 4 more days, he also changed the prescription for my right eye at this time, it's been 2 days since my last visit and I cant still see any improvements on my vision with my right eye, question is: is this something that happens a lot? should I panic and look for a second opinion? would this really wont have any effects on the final results of the surgery? how long should it take for me to see the final results? any help or similar past experience is highly appreciatted.
TopCat

Re: Just had Lasik and...

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:00 am

TopCat wrote:...is this something that happens a lot?

This is a known complication of Lasik enhancement surgery, but does not happen frequently.

TopCat wrote:should I panic and look for a second opinion?

There is nothing in what you have presented that indicates you need to panic. A second opinion is always a good idea, for peace of mind if nothing else.

TopCat wrote:would this really wont have any effects on the final results of the surgery?

Quite possibly you will not have any long-term effect. If the rupture is in the periphery, heals well, and you do not have any problems with epithelial ingrowth, then the probability of a good outcome is high. Of course, only a doctor who has actually examined you can provide a real analysis of the situation.

TopCat wrote:how long should it take for me to see the final results?

That depends upon how angry your eye is. You are probably suffering from edema (inflammation) and irregularity due to the rupture. It is reasonable to expect improvement in the next 1-2 weeks with significant improvement in the next 1-3 months. Your doctor will be better able to predict.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:06 pm

Did you have your flaps from 10 years ago lifted for the enhancements? Same surgeon from your original surgery?
Thanks
DryEye

Postby TopCat » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:59 pm

Yes I had the flaps lifted at that time, but it was a manual procedure back then, very rough nothing compared to what it is right now, I had a terrible night vision after this surgery which I believe is corrected right now, at least on my left eye (my only good eye right now), but thats only my perception, as for the surgeon, it was a different one, I live in a different city now, and my actual surgeon has good cards and recomendations, thanks for the replys, is good to talk to people that understands the problem, I will post again after my visit to my surgeon tomorrow.
TopCat

Postby DryEye » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:02 pm

Definitely let us know how things progress for you overtime.
This board is helpful and there are lots of people on it.
DryEye

Postby JPD » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:33 am

TopCat wrote: I had a terrible night vision after this surgery which I believe is corrected right now.

Ablation zones were much smaller ten years ago, plus I'm not sure they created blend zones yet. Which is probably the reason. Hopefully that problem is corrected now, good luck.
JPD

Postby TopCat » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:47 pm

Yesterday the doctor removed the contact lens, vision on my right eye has improved a lot since yesterday, and discomfort is almost gone, but my vision is still bad no 20/20 for me on my right eye, I guess I'll have to wait, doc said 1 week, anyway I'm glad I'm seing some improvement in my right eye I was freaked out by the diference in results from my right and left eye, left eye vision is perfect i could say, my right eye vision look like if I would still need some prescription glasses, but the reat improvement since the contact lens was removed is encouraging, only thing remaining now is if I would be able to see 20/20 with my right eye, doc is reluctant to make a prediction on this, but I'm trying to be as optimistic as I can about it, I have decided to take a vacation this weekend (it may help healing my eye), so I'll write back on sunday night, thanks to all of you for your replies!
TopCat

Postby TopCat » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:52 pm

It's been over a week since my last visit to the doctor, my left eye is still perfect, my right eye is catching up pretty good, but is not as good as my left eye, hope it will end up catching up, (will it be 20/20?) so far Im happy with the results, but I dont know if the final results are going to be affected by the complications I had, hopefully not, I will post again in 2 weeks after my last visit to the doctor, I guess that it was worth the trouble I can see and do a lot of things without glasses that otherwise it would just require a lot of effort to do.
TopCat

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:45 am

The epithelium (outermost soft pliable layer of the cornea) is very good at smoothing out irregularities. Although these are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body, it does take a build up and smooth out. Please let us know how it goes at the next exam.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It