Visian ICLS huge disappointment

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Visian ICLS huge disappointment

Postby kg » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:18 pm

:cry: I received Visian ICLs 7 weeks ago to correct severe myopia in both eyes (-17.5). Despite normal exams and use of Flanagan-D drops, my vision is as if I were looking through a fish bowl - it's watery, glassy, full of glare and blurry in the periphery. My symptoms are quite disabling. I've been told that my visual kaleidescope is due to the combination of the optics of phakic lens and my severe myopia and can't be fixed. If this is so, why does the STAAR company market to people with my prescription? (a representative from the company proctored my surgery) Or at the very least, make it clear that the results have a greater likelihood to be poor? I'm out $7000 and will likely have to pay to have these lenses removed. I only pray that I will be able to still wear contacts after all these surgeries (dry eye, anyone!).
kg

Postby sarahmt » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:50 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have just had ICL, and if you need another doctor for an opinion, mine had been great.
sarahmt

Re: Visian ICLS huge disappointment

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:46 am

kg wrote:...can't be fixed.

Perhaps the astronomically high myopia (nearsighted) vision cannot be resolved with the Visian ICL, but they can be removed. You will be back where you started, but at least the quality of vision with contacts or glasses should return.

kg wrote:If this is so, why does the STAAR company market to people with my prescription?

A phakic intraocular lens (P-IOL) would probably be considered the most safe, predictable, and effective surgical method to reduce your very high myopia, but that does not mean it will work every time or for everyone in your situation. There are many other factors at play ranging from pupil size to anterior chamber depth to endothelium cell count. Some variables can be determined before surgery, but not all.

kg wrote:...will likely have to pay to have these lenses removed.

Paying for extraction of a failed Visian ICL would be unusual.

kg wrote:I only pray that I will be able to still wear contacts after all these surgeries (dry eye, anyone!).

The surgery for the Visian ICL is very, very different from Lasik or PRK and does not normally induce dry eye or reshape the cornea to make contact lens fitting any more difficult than before surgery.

Before you have the ICLs explanted, I very highly recommend you meet with your surgeon and a representative of STAAR Surgical and discuss your situation and options.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It