12 hours post-op, amazing results!

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

12 hours post-op, amazing results!

Postby HappyEyes » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:14 pm

I just had the Custom Lasik procedure done last night at 11pm. It's been 12 hours since. Overall I feel good just a little irritated in both eyes like there's an old contact in my eye. The refresh drops seem to help for awile. I just returned from my 1-day post-op check up and I'm seeing better than 20/20. It's amazing, I still can't believe it!

My doctor has done over 40,000 procedures. He did procedures from 10am in the morning until about midnight which worried me because I was one of the last procedures performed. Although they looked tired my doctor and his staff remained upbeat (maybe delerious) but very cautious. He and his staff are definitely an experts. There was a lady that went before me that had returned to the office because one of her flaps was moving around. After the procedure she was afraid to blink her eyes. Keeping them open dried her eyes. They irrigated her eye and put in a bandage contact. She was fine after that and returned home. They say it is important to blink to help moisturize the eye.

THE ACTUAL PROCEDURE

I was a little nervous so I took a couple of valliums (like having 2 glasses of wine). I was in the chair for about 15 minutes. The acutal procedure took about 1-2 minutes per eye. They numb your eyes with drops, insert a device to keep you from blinking, then us another small device to cut a flap, outer layer of your cornea, and peel it back. There was a little pressure and on the second eye a little pinch. The actual laser was nothing. Couldn't feel a thing. The doctor talked to me thoughtout the procedure. That helped a lot, he told me waht to expect and how I would feel. As soon as they were done I got up and left for home. Ofcourse I had my husband to drive back home. I could see better immediately out of the chair but it was a little hazy.

AT HOME

I would suggest you have the procedure done close to the evening so you can sleep as soon as you get home. They gave me goggles to protect me from myself not to touch or rub my eyes. They said it is important to not touch or even dab them for a few days and to keep them most. So first thing i did when I got home was put in some refresh drops then about 1 hour after the procedure use the antibiotic (zymar) drops and the anti-inflammatory (pred forte, steroid) drops. The steroid drops burn a little. All need a 3-5 minute space in between so they don't wash each other out. I woke up a few times feeling irritated, the old dry contact feeling. I just put a couple of refresh drops to help and went back to sleep.

This morning, I woke up with 20/20 or better. Amazing!! It's a Saturday so i don't have to go to work. But I can definitely see how people are able to return to work the next day. Just make sure you bring your drops.

It is important to do your research on your doctor. 97% of my doctors patients end up with 20/20 or better vision and he has done over 40,000 procedures. Please find a reputable doctor. I would also advise to watch a few procedures before yours. I was not as nervous after I saw previous patients leave comfortable and happy. Also talk to some of the patients in the waiting room. I talked to 3 people who had the procedure prior to mine who were about 2-3 months post-op. They were very happy.

This website has been tremendous in being part of my research. I got to hear other people stories good and bad. Most of the horror stories seem to be written by people who had a bad doctor or who were impatient and/or can't tolerate a little discomfort (old contact in the eye thing). Or had the procedure done years ago. Technology is amazing now.

Thanks for hearing my story. Hope it helped. I'll check back in to report my progress.

Go in with prayers and a positive expectation.

God Bless.

PS: I have 3 young kids. It's a good idea to wear goggles at home when your around them for a few days.
HappyEyes

Postby golfingirl » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:30 pm

Congrats to you and the positive outcome. Keep us posted of your ups and downs as your recovery continues. This is an excellent forum and many of us here have, it seems, complications and are here for support and information.

Like everyone I know who has experienced Lasik or PRK ( and I personally know at least 30), they have been pleased with the outcome while the vast majority hadn't experienced one complication.

My opthamologist has done over 46 000 procedures and is very well regarded, using only the best equipment available. While, my complication/set back of Dry Eye Syndrome and subsequent corneal edema is slowing my healing, I am optomistic that time will allow healing and I too can join the ranks of a successful lasik surgery like yourself.

Take care. Oh, I agree with the goggles arounds kids... I keep mine on while I play with my rambunctious Golden Retriever.

Laura
golfingirl

Postby aspenice » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:40 pm

Any of these doctor's in California?
aspenice

Postby golfingirl » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:42 pm

No sorry. Atlanta, Georgia.
golfingirl

Yes, my doctor is located in California

Postby HappyEyes » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:08 pm

They have a location in Hercules (near Vallejo) and one in Sacramento.

Edited to remove physician name.
HappyEyes

Day 2 Post-op

Postby HappyEyes » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:18 pm

Dry Eyes are about 95% gone and so is the old contat lense feeling. Vision is SUPER, just tiny, tiny bit hazy in the right but I can see far, very far. Yesterday, I was using refresh about every hour as directed by my docto. I also have been taking Aleve gel caps (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) and vitamin C. I heard that taking these help with the healing process from another posting in this forum. But you may want to ask your doctor first if this is OK.

Golfingirl,

Sorry you are suffering from dry eye. How long has it been since you had your surgery?
HappyEyes

Day 2 Post-op: Night time Vision

Postby HappyEyes » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:19 am

Update: I just drove back home in the dark. I had no experience of halos or starbursts. Thank God. Didn't need refresh as much today, maybe used it about 4 times today. Still taking Vitamin Cs to help with healing and don't need Aleve for discomfort since there is no more. Thank God again. i go off of the antibiotic & anti-inflammatory drops Tuesday night.
HappyEyes

Re: Day 2 Post-op: Night time Vision

Postby bathory313 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:14 pm

HappyEyes wrote:Update: I just drove back home in the dark. I had no experience of halos or starbursts. Thank God. Didn't need refresh as much today, maybe used it about 4 times today. Still taking Vitamin Cs to help with healing and don't need Aleve for discomfort since there is no more. Thank God again. i go off of the antibiotic & anti-inflammatory drops Tuesday night.

Don't be afraid to pour those drops in! You may be one of the lucky few that doesn't experience dry eye too badly.........mine was insane for awhile; I was using drops about every 15 minutes. It's much improved now, though!

Good advice on wearing the goggles not just at nighttime; also people with rambunctious dogs or cats should be very careful, too. My two little dogs wanted to lick my face and were almost mad to get to my eye area; I was thankful for those ugly goggles!
bathory313

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:42 pm

aspenice wrote:Any of these doctor's in California?

There are several doctors throughout the US, including Lasik doctors we certified, who have performed tens of thousands of refractive surgery procedures.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It