Swimming post Lasik? Pool vs. Ocean

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Swimming post Lasik? Pool vs. Ocean

Postby golfingirl » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:39 pm

Okay, here's the problem. I am going to Greece for 3 weeks in September. Okay, that's not the problem... that's the good part.

The problem is, can I swim in the ocean? I know I can swim in a pool in 2 weeks, but is the ocean too high risk with all the little creatures that inhabit the salty water? Shall I bear goggles or haphazzardly enjoy the ocean for the first time without contacts/glasses? What would you do?

By the way, I will be about 4 weeks post lasik at this point.

Thanks,
Laura 8)
golfingirl

Postby rosecmd » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:11 pm

I went to the beach two weeks after my lasik procedure and was told to not go in the ocean, that the ocean water would be one of the worst things I could expose my dry, healing eyes too. Granted, you will be at 4 weeks, but you are suffering from bad dry eye right now, if I remember. I found I had to be extra diligent at the beach, limiting my time outside (bright sun, wind, etc.), hard to do with active kids. The worst time for me was when we spent three hours on a boat for a whale watch - great whales sightings and a lot of fun, but the spray, wind, "whale's breath" vapors and the like made my eyes quite dry & irritated. I wore sunglasses the whole time and spent more time in the protected areas of the boat. Check with your doctor -- maybe he would be fine with you going in calm water but not getting water in your eyes?

I'm six weeks out now...I went in the pool for the first time yesterday - no water in my eyes, but the sunblock and sweat made my eyes sting and they were rather irritated last night - they felt swollen. I had a "good eye day" yesterday, better mid-range vision day, so maybe my eyes were extra strained. Who knows?

Check with your doctor. I'm sure you will manage on your vacation, but you may not be able to expose your eyes to ocean water.
rosecmd

Postby bathory313 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:52 pm

Realize that there is a lot of sand in sea water.........and it'd be in your eyes. Not to mention sea creature waste, chemicals......I don't think I'd risk my eyes to this. I'd think goggles would be the way to go, but I'm no doc soooooooooooooo.
bathory313

Postby golfingirl » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:13 am

Ya, I'm definitely leaning towards the goggles idea.
golfingirl

Return to Just Had It