Wierd Starburst Pattern

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Wierd Starburst Pattern

Postby John C. » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:23 am

Hi All;
My first post here (sorry I forgot to ask my surgeon these questions at the “day after checkup” & my next checkup is a month away) …I had my surgery done 3 days ago & have a few questions if anyone has the time… (1) I did Not get mono Lasik (although the surgeon said that he worked one eye to see just a ‘little’ closer than the other) – as I want to see a little ‘further’ better (cause I play Lots of tennis), why did my surgeon say that I will see better ‘closer’ first (which I now do see very good close - within 3 feet - but blurrish farther away), then later (weeks, months, etc) see further better? (2) I am also seeing more blurrish (2 to 3 times as much) out of my Non-dominant eye past 10 feet & Much less blurrish out of my dominant eye past 10 feet, I thought both should be the same If I was Not getting (practically)Mono Vision. (3) PLEASE check this link http://www.pbase.com/jmcook/lasik_surgery & use the password: 12345 (if necessary) to see the Starburst Pattern I am Experiencing – I have Not seen this type Starburst Pattern on any site’s examples of Starburst Patterns exhibited with Lasik surgery – Is this Normal??? Please ask me any questions if I can aid anyone…… I’m just a little freaked out cause some people say (as did my wife who had Mono Lasik a year ago) that they had seen almost “perfect” the day after surgery & I’m wondering if what I am experiencing is ‘normal’ or not!?!?! ….. Thanks for your time ….. Jon
PS; this seems like a Great site ....
John C.

Postby bathory313 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:09 pm

I have the same starburst effect; with the rainbow colors. I'm nearly 2 months post-op.........but really, as blind as I was I consider this a small price to pay to be able to actually see. I'm not trying to minimize your aggravation or be smart, I'm just sharing my feelings on the matter!
bathory313

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:38 pm

The starburst pattern you provide at your image library indicates you have either residual regular astigmatism or irregular healing, but it is very early in your recovery. You will see many people in this forum who have had starbursting that resolved after a few months of healing (hopefully bathory313 will soon be one of those too!).

The difference in clarity at distance may be due to normal postoperative edema (inflammation), a small amount of deliberate Lasik overcorrection to accommodate expected regression, or even a bit temporary dry eye induced by Lasik. It is possible that the correction is not exact, but you need about 3-6 months of healing before you will really know.

I recommend you ask your doctor's office for an exam now. Don't be surprised if they say your symptoms are normal healing, but it would probably give you some peace of mind between now and the one-month postop exam.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby John C. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:12 am

Thanks Glen for the input - I called & got a exam next week, these starbursts I am experiencing are just too 'square' in shape (not round) & seem very un-natural... & actually in my non-dominant 'blurry' eye it is blurry at about 3 feet away (to infinity) .... One other thing I forgot to mention is that I had a large Pterygium taken out in that 'blurry' non dominant eye about 6 months ago (& it healed properly except for a minor Stigmatism) - but I saw really well (non-blurry) after it was healed with my eye-glasses (pre-Lasik)?? Maybe that will have an effect on its overall healing???? Thanks Again Glen..
PS; Bathory Thanks Much for the comment - at least I am not alone & I hope you heal up well :roll:
.....................Jon
John C.

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:49 am

If the blur from three feet away to infinity is resolved with a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) then it is likely a symptom of normal myopia. Myopia could be caused by temporary edema (inflammation) or dry eyes. Again, you are very early in the healing period.

Pterygium excision is often combined with mitomycin C. Mitomycin C will commonly change the amount of corneal tissue that is ablated with each laser pulse. Mitomycin C is often used for PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik patients with a higher than normal risk for corneal haze. As long as the Lasik surgeon knows that mitomycin C has been applied to the cornea, and when, the laser treatment can be appropriately adjusted.

There is a chance that the pterygium surgery may have affected the Lasik outcome, but probably nothing that cannot be resolved. It is much, much too early to know and would be very unlikely if your Lasik doctor knew of your pterygium history.

It was wise to have the pterygium removed six months before having Lasik so it would not interfere and the Lasik could attempt to resolve the astigmatism induced by pterygium excision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It