Had it 2 days ago

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had it 2 days ago

Postby owls2003 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:41 pm

I'm still having trouble focusing (ie reading stuff on the computer at work). I just feel like my eyes are straining to read stuff. My surgeon said that I had really dry eyes, so I've been putting lubricating drops in every 30 mins. Hopefully the dryness goes away eventually.

My question is, how long do I have to wait to play sports? My doctor said I could play soccer this week, but from what I've read at other places, I should wait like 3 weeks! Also, can I start running now, since it's non-contact?
owls2003

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:49 pm

If you are going to play soccer, absolutely wear protective goggles. You don't want trauma to the eye so soon after surgery.

Dry eyes can change the refractive error, making you more myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) and/or creating an irregular cornea. The natual crystalline lens inside the eye is probably trying to focus around the resulting blur. This can cause Lasik related eye strain, plus the dry eyes can be very uncomfortable.

You may want to read our article about Lasik dry eye treatment.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby owls2003 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:19 pm

how long will i have to wear the goggles? I got lasik partially because my glasses fogged up and goggles tend to do the same thing!

Also, the artificial tears (systane) that my doctor gave me have preservatives in them, yet the article says to get a preservative free brand. Should I purchase a different kind?
owls2003

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:10 am

owls2003 wrote:how long will i have to wear the goggles?

Everyone should wear protective goggles when in an environment where trauma to the eye is likely, but your doctor will probably tell you it is okay to not use the goggles somewhere between 3 and 6 weeks

owls2003 wrote:Also, the artificial tears (systane) that my doctor gave me have preservatives in them, yet the article says to get a preservative free brand. Should I purchase a different kind?

Systane is available in preservative-free vials. You may also want to read our article about Lasik dry eye treatment.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby owls2003 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:12 pm

so i should throw out the bottle i bought and use the vials then?

btw, thanks for all your help. this website is so great for anyone interested in lasik!
owls2003

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:33 pm

Don't throw out the bottle. Refridgerate it and use it after your eyes have healed more. But do get the preservative-free individual use vials for now.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It