colors percieved differently - night vision connection?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

colors percieved differently - night vision connection?

Postby Ol Blue Eyes » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:19 pm

Has anyone has this?

I went to a pipe organ concert in Edmonton where they had differnt lights shining on the big silver pipes of the pipe organ for different songs. The first part of the concert they had gold, yellow and orange lights on the pipes and I was thinking, "wow - those pipes are so far away and I can see the edges clearly - my eysight must be improving" then they switched to blue and purple lights on the pipes and everythign went blurry.

Could it be that somehow lazer affects how your eye percieves color on the lower part of the spectrum and that is why night vision is so blurry because at night the colors go to the darker ones on the spectrum? I'd really like to know if color is affected at all because that could explain bad night vision somewhat and why I can see so much better with orange sunglasses (because it filters out the colors on the low part of the spectrum).

If anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know - especially the laser expert.

Thanks again,

Blue
Ol Blue Eyes

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:08 am

The wavelength frequency of blue light is at the longer end of the visible light spectrum. A disruption in the cornea, such as what would be found with early Lasik flap healing, can change the wavelength of the light passing through the cornea and entering the eye.

Blue light tends to focus slightly in front of the other colors at the retina, creating a myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) blur effect. Nike (of all people) has a very nice graphic about this effect. Accurate yellow frequency lenses can block the blue light and reduce this visual blur without creating a wash of yellow color.

The combination of blue light's tendency to focus in front of the retina and an otherwise minor disruption of the light as it passes through the cornea can cause both a color shift and poor focus of objects of some colors. Blue and red, the opposite ends of the color spectrum, tend to be the ones most affected. Some people complain of ghosted or doubled vision with red LED displays, but not with other colors or white light. Some find the frequency of light emitted by florescent lights to provide very poor vision focus, but natural, incandescent, and color-corrected florescent lights are fine.

This problem tends to resolve with healing and neuro-adaptation. The Lasik flap heals more tightly to the underlying cornea, and the brain learns how to filter the aberrated light.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

This was a great thing to learn

Postby Judy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks for the color explanation. Maybe that accounts for why in dim light those of us in recovery are feeling sorta blurry and yet in bright light things appear clearer. On cloudy days everything seems so much less distinct.

I am also glad to hear that with time it seems to resolve and clear out.

Glen, this 6 month journey sure is surprising. Thank goodness you are here with answers that make things clear, in our minds if not in our eyes....ha ha....Thanks
Judy

Postby croanster » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:05 am

I just found this and seems to apply to me as well. Would this continue to improve after 7 months? Blue and green lights are the worst for me but can be corrected fine with glasses on.

I'd assume if you were a little bit shortsighted anyway the effect would be more noticable with blue lights?

How sticky is the flap anyway? Would a wheat pack stick it down an extra micron or 2 reducing the effect a little?
croanster

Postby snowprince » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:25 am

Dear Glenn

Does this also explain the doubling of green lights in my left eye, especially when they are far away (there is a GHOST of the green light at about 12 oclock)? I hardly see doubling with any other colors - RED lights had no doubling. I also noticed that words are very much clearer when I read in bright orange lights!

However, it is to be noted my left eye is also experiencing mild blurriness and doubling of words. When I use both eyes together, even though my right eye seems more crisp, the left eye just messes things up.

I don't know if all this will ever get better.

I am already more than 6 weeks post LASIK.
snowprince

Return to Just Had It