is this caused by dry eye?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

is this caused by dry eye?

Postby jz5168 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:01 pm

I like many others who reported the same problem in this forum, when I wake up in the morning, I can see pretty well, but within 1 hour, the vision becomes blur. I'm 5 weeks after the treatment. Do you think this is attributed to dry eye?
jz5168

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:00 pm

It is likely attributed to a corneal hydration issue, but may not be typical dry eye.

During the night the cornea may thicken because of the added hydration with closed eyes, or may dehydrate and thin. The salt in the tears (and in some nighttime lubrication gels) can draw out moisture and cause the cornea to thin.

We have a detailed article about Lasik and dry eyes that you may want to read, and you certainly need to bring this to your doctor's attention.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby golfingirl » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:38 am

I have the same problem. In the morning, my vision is pretty good... in fact, I would be satisfied if my final lasik result was my morning vision. Within 20 - 30 min after this great morning vision, it quickly deteriorates to quite a blur. I was diagnosed with dry eye. Now, this is not a typical experience from what my doc tells me. Most dry suffers have improved vision as the day progresses as some patients keep their eyes a bit open during sleep thus enhancing the dry eye effect. I guess we're not typical. I would have your doc test you for dry eye and treat accordingly. I has my lasik 2 weeks ago today and with dry eye treatment, I am finally starting to feel like I am healing. My vision is still blurry and waht I would consider subpar, but the dry eye is becoming more tolerable and the vision more stable.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
golfingirl

Return to Just Had It