Had PRK, question about difficulty viewing computer

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had PRK, question about difficulty viewing computer

Postby cecil519 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:09 pm

I just had PRK over a week ago. Recovery seems to be going very well. My vision went from 20/400 to 20/60 (as of three days ago during my post-op appointment right before the bandage contact lenses were removed).

Right now, I am satisfied with my distance vision. But when I get to work, I have difficulty focusing on the computer. I changed the resolution of the monitor so that everything's bigger, but the letters and numbers seem blurry. This is just on the computer. Other things seem to be fine, for instance, from about five feet away, I can see text on a piece of paper posted on the wall that was typed using Times New Roman size 12.

I have a friend who had lasik. She is over 40, hence using reading glasses (I am 30 years old). She recommended using reading glasses when using the computer. Is this something that I need to do just until I am fully recovered, or would I have to actually resort to reading glasses permanently?
cecil519

readers

Postby Judy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:16 pm

Hi Cecil....you sound like you are doing pretty darn good. Yes, go to the drug store and get yourself some readers. You might need only around 1.50....try on a few and see what seems good.

You are just beginning your trip and things will improve. You sound like eventually you will be fine close up and for now a little boost is just the ticket. Good luck and happy healing...we are all here with you cruising along and moving at various rates of speed.
Judy

Postby epthorn » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:04 pm

Hey, I don't know if it's normal but the same thing happened to me. I had it about a month ago now. At this point my 'computer vision' is about back to normal, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I just increased font sizes and took breaks from the screen, but reading glasses might not be a bad idea,
epthorn

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:18 pm

The fuzzy edges are undoubtedly because the epithelium has not fully thickened and become completely smooth yet. This will resolve with healing.

Reading glasses tend to magnify images. You may have already accomplished this with changing the computer monitor resolution, but not all of life is on a computer. Drop by your local drug store and try the reading glasses to see if they are helpful. In a month or two you can donate them to your favorite uncle.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: Had PRK, question about difficulty viewing computer

Postby cecil519 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:38 pm

Thanks for the responses. Actually, I am doing much, much better at this point. Today (8/31) is the 15th day after having PRK done. My vision while working on the computer went progressively better throughout the week. I don't remember exactly, but I think 3 days ago, I switched back the resolution of my computer screen to what it was before surgery, and the font size is back to normal. I don't see any fuzzy edges whatsoever. I also went back to working out yesterday and was so happy because I can see the captions on the TVs throughout the gym.

I keep up with the preservative-free artificial tears (at least one drop per eye per hour), along with the steroid drops (now down to three times per day) and Refresh PM before bedtime. It seems to be helping a lot. I don't experience dry eyes that much.

I have another post-op appointment this afternoon. I can't wait to hear from the doctor how much my eyes have healed. I can't wait to wear eye makeup again. For anyone considering PRK, I highly recommend it. It was the best decision.
cecil519

Return to Just Had It